Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set Google Maps to be the default map app?

OK, I've had enough. I thought I could live with the quirks of Apple Maps, but the other day, I was trying to get directions from Reagan airport to my hotel in DC. Although the app correcty located me at the airport, it insisted on starting the directions from *a golf course on the other side of the Potomac*. Seriously? This wasn't a tiny mistake. It couldn't figure out a major airport in a major US city. That was the last straw.

I downloaded the Google Map app, and it was wonderful. Not only did it (of course) give me the correct directions, but it even talked to me (I have an iPhone 4, which Apple has deemed unworthy of turn by turn directions).

Is there a way to make Google Maps my default Map app? so that when the OS recognizes something as an address it opens that instead of Apple Maps?

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:12 PM

No, you cannot make Google Maps the default.

5 replies

Jan 31, 2013 9:32 PM in response to ejpre

Apple is trying to make their maps better, as you know. I believe (but I'm not sure, because they were already pretty good in my experience - not around Reagan Airport) they made a quantum stride earlier this week with iOS 6.1.

Those iPhones that support Siri (iPhone 4S and later) will already respond to the command "Open Google Maps".

Apr 10, 2013 11:01 PM in response to ejpre

What on earth is wrong with Apple?? The ENTIRE REASON I MADE MY ORIGINAL PURCHASE WAS GOOGLE MAPS. The arrogance of they know better than the folks using their product is astonishing. I don't care what the articles say, this map debacle is killing potential iPhone sales. If they will not support MY NEEDS, I'll abandon my investment in applications as the important ones use Google maps and will be worthless anyhow. Already applications I want demand iOS 6 which I refuse to download. This phone will become an iPod and I will never again trust apple with my future. This is not the first time apple has decided for me. It's going to be the last decision you make for me. Trust.

Can I set Google Maps to be the default map app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.