Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tracking a stolen iphone

Can an iPhone 3 be tracked ....the people who took it are playing games

iPhone 3G

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:26 PM

7 replies

Jan 31, 2013 9:55 PM in response to ckuan

@ckuan, I'm surprised the iPhone 3G can run Find My iPhone because this link says "The device you're trying to find needs iOS 5 or later": http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3376

Admittedly there's a reference in that document that says only iOS 3.1.3 or later is needed to run Find My iPhone, but I wonder if the 3G, although it could run the app, could actually be found.

Jan 31, 2013 10:16 PM in response to sberman

Yes, I know. It can also find itself - this was disputed by higher ranks. I can swear because my daughter is still using my old iPhone 3G and I can track her if I want because Find My iPhone has my Apple ID on it. I think the newer Find My iPhone cannot be installed on the 3G.

I got iPhone 3G in in 2009 2 months before the 3GS came out (ahh...). Like I've said, I couldn't directly configure FMI (no iCloud for 3G), I have to used my son's then new iPod touch in 2010 to get it working.

I said the last post confusingly. I'm not surprised the 3G can run Find My iPhone, but I would be surprised if it could be found.

True when it matters, it may not work.Anyway it's more for misplaced iPhone than stopping a thief.

Jan 31, 2013 11:38 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Well, just tested to be sure it's still working.

All I did was using iCloud address (my apple id) from ipod touch 4gen to setup FMI then signed in my old iPhone 3G FMI.

After awhile of testing, only one of my 3G can still locate itself, the other is alway red (no location available)

The 3G FMI version is 1.4 (1G13) - 2011, compare to the latest FMI is version 2.0.1 - 2012

Tracking a stolen iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.