Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI 1080p Resolution for 2560x1440 Monitor

I got an ASUS PB278Q 2560 by 1440 resolution and I am also only getting the 1080p as the highest resolution with an HDMI cable connect to my 15in MacBook Pro Retina.

There have been some people who suggested to create a custom resolution with a 40Hz refresh rate instead of 60Hz?? I would like to see if this solves my problem. Thanks for you help in advance.

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:23 PM

14 replies

Mar 1, 2017 10:21 PM in response to ds store

Wrong... HDMi is multipurpose Audio-visual/Data connection. Just like Display-Port. Just, Display-Port is free for the manufacturer and from using HDMi you need to pay royalties.

The reason why the image was only 1080p is because by quick googling the display in this case is older then 2012 so it uses HDMi version 1.0. HDMi 1.4 was released 2012 and it supports 4096 × 2160 resolutions or dual 1080p simultanious.

The HDMi on your mac will support 6Gb/s / 4k @ 60Fps - But you need to be sure that the device where you are sending it has also up to date connection.

I had this same problem whit my Dell Ultra Sharp, and easyest fix is to use HDMi to DVI adaptor and connect your mac to the the DVI port of the display.

Feb 3, 2013 3:14 PM in response to mikem01

HDMI is meant for HDTV's which currently have a maxium 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution.

A 1080 52" screen has the same pixels as a 152", they just make the pixels bigger and because one needs to sit farther back to take in the entire 152" screen, the eye blurs pixels together for a sharp image.

For up close work this doesn't work so well, because one needs a high level of pixels per inch instead, anywhere from 100 to 300 pixels per inch.

Thus for a larger display for up close work, it has to have more pixels.

One can get away using a HDTV for a up close display, but it has to be 1080 and be sharp up close leaving the display size out of the final decision.

Unfortuntly smaller HDTV's usually use 740p or even lower pixel resolutions, finding a 1080 small HDTV to use as a computer display is somewhat difficult, but possible and likely expensive.

Feb 3, 2013 3:34 PM in response to ds store

I think you posted in the wrong thread or something. What you wrote is completely off topic and has nothing to do with the OPs issue.

He does not have a TV that he is trying to use as a display nor has anyone asked about them.

What he has is a 27" that is 2560 x 1440 (not a TV resolution). I do not know if this is the case for all 2560 screens but I do that at least some of them do NOT support anything higher than 1080p over HDMI. You must use a Dual Link DVI port and cable or a DisplayPort cable.

I don't know if this is a limitation of HDMI technology or a limitation on the monitors themselves but either way you want 2560 you got to do it the way your instruction manual says to do it.

Apr 1, 2013 12:23 AM in response to mikem01

I have the same problem I sent a post it seams that it is quite impossible to get a 2560*1440 on a monitor EXCEPT from the thunderbolt

I try it with DVI but I am not sure it is a dual DVI and for the Display port the problem is that you have to get a thunderbolt( minidisplay ) from the macbook TO display , apple not have this king of adaptor , do you succeed in anything concerning this topics ?

Apr 26, 2014 9:09 PM in response to SGBKK01

An old thread, but just to add info for googling -

I have a an October '13 rMBP with an Asus PB278Q as well. It is still the case that OS X 10.9.2 will only support 1920x1080 over HDMI.

However, when I run Windows 7 on the rMBP, it has no problem getting the full 2560x1440 from the monitor over HDMI. So this is an OS X problem, not a rMBP hardware or HDMI problem.

I bought a DisplayPort-to-mini DP cable and that allows the full resolution on the Asus in OS X. Text quality is unfortunatley extremely crappy (text is actually good in W7). Maybe I have been permanently spoiled by the retina display.

Jun 10, 2014 12:32 PM in response to cgtyoder

Same setup here. However, I've been using the Switchresx at 2560X1440 40Hz and it had excellent retinish look including crystal font!

The only issue was that when the MBP was put into sleep after wakeup it only had one greyed out desktop/spaces where I usually use 4. I had to close and re-open few times until I got my normal 5 spaces back without restarting the MBP. Someone has put a tip to restore the SwitchresX to factory settings while MBP safe in safe mode and so i followed the tip... 😟 Sadly I'm getting the mentioned 2560x1440 60hz and the blury font now...

Switchresx will not save the 2560X1440 40Hz as default and it doesn't give any other 2560x1440...

Bad Apple! Not so good Switchresx either... Any other ideas?

HDMI 1080p Resolution for 2560x1440 Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.