Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving flagged photos in IPhoto 11 no longer works

I am using a macpro os 10.7.5 and IPhoto 11. I am no longer able to move flagged photos to a new event. I do have photos flagged. I have the new event highligted. When I go to events the "move flagged photos" is only gray and may not be selected.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 11:00 PM

6 replies

Feb 2, 2013 12:19 AM in response to johnfromnorth andover

Try rebuild the old one:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Feb 2, 2013 3:05 PM in response to Yer_Man

This was terrific help. I had to use library manager to rebuild my library, but it resolved my issue. library rebuilt works! Now I am trying to delete old libraries by placing them in the trash. It seems that if I put the iPhoto original in the trash, I would be throwing away the iphoto program itself. What do I need to do to retain iphoto 11? how do I delete the original library? I want to say good-bye to my problem.

Thank you for everything so far.

Feb 2, 2013 3:10 PM in response to johnfromnorth andover

You are confusing the iPhoto data (your photos) with the application - the iPhoto application must always be in the applications folder and can not be moved or renamed - the data for the iPhoto application is by default named iPhoto library and by default is in your pictures folder - it can be any name and can be in any location as long as it is on a volume formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - you notify the iPhoto application of the location of the iPhoto library by depressing the option key and launching the iPhoto application and useing the select librar window

LN

Feb 3, 2013 5:45 PM in response to LarryHN

I do understand the difference between iPhoto app and iPhoto Library. But I am trying to get rid of some duplication and clutter. I will tell you what I have and perhaps you can tell me what I can get rid of and how. I am not sure how to delete the orignal iPhoto Library and just keep the iPhoto Library (rebuilt). I also have something else called iPhoto Library (original) that has an icon that looks like a piece of paper with a dogearred corner. Because the latter was labelled a library item I tried to trash it and iPhoto would not work. I pulled it out of trash. I don't know what that is.

1. Can iPhoto Library (original) [icon dogearred paper] be dragged to the trash? By the way there two of these: one in the applications folder and one in Pictures.

2. I have an iPhoto Library (original) [with an icon of a stack of pictures] in Pictures and think this can be dragged to trash. yes or no.

You lost me when you referred to something being volume fomatted Mac OSZ extend (journaled).

Thank you so far and am sorry to be a pest, but I want to clean up.

moving flagged photos in IPhoto 11 no longer works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.