Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network via cable

Hello

Is there a possibility to connect an iPad via a cable connection to a network? We are exhibitors at CeBIT de and there are always problems.

Axel

iPad 2, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 3:04 AM

No, the iPad has no built in ability to connect to Ethernet. However, you can use a small portable router. When I travel to Japan where the hotels all have Ethernet in the rooms but no WiFi, I take an AirPort Express. I preconfigure it but it can all be configured right from the iPad. It plugs into the LAN and then creates a WiFi network. There are other brands that are cheaper but the fact that this one has an app to configure it directly makes it worth the money for me.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2013 3:04 AM in response to ackydeutschland

No, the iPad has no built in ability to connect to Ethernet. However, you can use a small portable router. When I travel to Japan where the hotels all have Ethernet in the rooms but no WiFi, I take an AirPort Express. I preconfigure it but it can all be configured right from the iPad. It plugs into the LAN and then creates a WiFi network. There are other brands that are cheaper but the fact that this one has an app to configure it directly makes it worth the money for me.

Feb 1, 2013 5:57 AM in response to ackydeutschland

Without knowing the part numbers, I can't be sure to what you're referring. However, it sounds like your talking about the adapter that works with the MacBook Airs. It plugs into the USB port on the MBA and enables you to connect to Ethernet. The iPad doesn't have a USB port. What you're talking about certainly wouldn't be a supported use.

Feb 1, 2013 6:39 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The part number

http://store.apple.com/de/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit?fno de=3a

It is the camera connection kit. Now the Ipad has an USB-Port.

and

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00486070K/ref=asc_df_B00486070K11740945?smid=A3JWKAKR8X B7XF&tag=googledeprodu-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22494&creativeASIN=B00486070K

Apple Network USB Adapter

That this is not support that I do not already clear. The question is if it works.

Network via cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.