Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I authorized 2 laptops to my iPhone 5 but one can only sync music while the other can only sync apps!

I have an iPhone 5 and I have authorized 2 laptops to sync with it.

The problem is I can only sync apps I have downloaded from one laptop while music from the other laptop. I can't sync music and apps to my iPhone from the same laptop.

How do I solve this?

Note: The first laptop I synced with is also shared with my wife's iPhone 4.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 2:30 AM

11 replies

Feb 1, 2013 2:34 AM in response to adamyj

you can only really sync your phone with one device, well strictly not true but its the better practice.

first point, be careful here.

second, plug your iPhone into the first machine and check the settings related to synchronising with 'that' machine.

then do the same with the second.

you will find that one is setup to sync apps and the other to sync music. I'd recommend that you go to the one that has your music stored on it, get it to download all of your apps and use this machine as your main machine from now on.

Using two seperate machines must be confusing and could lead to you suddenly loosing all of you data if you sync completely with one machine that does contain everything you want!

Feb 3, 2013 10:54 PM in response to Techmadness

Thanks all for the help as I am still figuring it out.

As I can authorise up to 5 computers to my iPhone, what's the use of it if I should only sync it to one computer to prevent these issues?

I totally understand about the point about the music issue but being able to only sync app from one computer baffles me.

I have downloaded all the apps I installed from Computer 1 in Computer 2's iTunes.

However, I still can't sync the apps to my iPhone via Computer 2.

Do I have to de-authorise Computer 1 to enable this?

Feb 4, 2013 7:22 AM in response to adamyj

If the apps are on your phone and your iTunes on your computer is signed into the same Apple ID as the phone, then you connect your phone to your computer and run iTunes on the computer.

Select your phone in iTunes. Select Summary from the row of choices provided and scroll down to find transfer purchases. This should copy all purchased apps to iTunes.

Nov 1, 2013 11:51 PM in response to adamyj

I got a new laptop, I want to authorize this one to my Iphone. When I try to Back-Up my phone on the new laptop it asks if I want to Back-Up the Apps because they are not in the iTunes Library. Then after a while, iTunes is asking if I want to authorize this laptop, if yes then I lose all my apps and data with it.

How can I authorize this laptop and getting my apps in the Library? Is it possible after authorizing that I restore the back-up from the old laptop?

This is annoying from apple, I can't lose any of the apps or data.

I authorized 2 laptops to my iPhone 5 but one can only sync music while the other can only sync apps!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.