Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting thoroughly annoyed with having to create new passwords to access Apple

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to air my grievance, but I'm getting thoroughly annoyed of Apple's insistence on my having to create new passwords

every time something goes awry, quite often with iCloud. I've lost count of how many different passwords I've had to create since I've had this computer (November 2012).

I would very much like to restore the passwords I had when I first got into Apple.

Is that possible?

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), HP 3310 A-I-O, Epson Stylus CX5400

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 6:39 AM

13 replies

Feb 1, 2013 7:30 AM in response to sapper

That's the password!

It's hard to tell from your post what is the problem. What exactly happens that makes you have to (re)create your password? And what exactly is the message you receive telling you you have to do it?

Assuming that something keeps going wrong with your passwords - if that's the problem - consider deleting apple-related keychain entries and (sigh) recreating your password one more time.

Feb 1, 2013 9:18 AM in response to Csound1

Sorry, but the comment from CT was out of bounds given my annoyance with Apple's systems. I never had that problem with my passwords on my old imac G5. That was up to June last year when it went kaput.

Every so often I have to sign into iCloud which I suspect is a security issue. I do not like to have to keep signing in every 2 weeks, and I had the same issue signing into Discussions. I just do not like having to think up new passwords.

Feb 1, 2013 9:29 AM in response to CT

Sorry CT, but I get very frustrated with the Apple security systems. When having to reset my password, it won't let me use a password that I've used in the past year, and that happens whichever method I use whether it be answering security questions or re-setting.

On that basis, I don't know how to re-set my password in the manner you suggest. In short, I need idiot-proof language that I can use and probably print off.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Feb 1, 2013 9:30 AM in response to sapper

Something is abnormal with your system I use iCloud and have never been required to re-enter a password unless I changed it myself, but I can't approach ths without a little humor to relieve the stress, so good luck.

sapper wrote:

Sorry, but the comment from CT was out of bounds given my annoyance with Apple's systems. I never had that problem with my passwords on my old imac G5. That was up to June last year when it went kaput.

Every so often I have to sign into iCloud which I suspect is a security issue. I do not like to have to keep signing in every 2 weeks, and I had the same issue signing into Discussions. I just do not like having to think up new passwords.

Feb 1, 2013 9:32 AM in response to sapper

Part of the issue here is that it's still unclear exactly what the problem is, thus CT's tongue-in-cheek response. What exactly is telling you that you have to change your password? Note that I have never been forced by Apple to change any of my passwords. So this is important information you need to provide.

One thing I wonder is if you are under the mistaken impression that when you eventually get logged out of sites like iCloud or these forums, that means you have to reset your password or have had some kind of password problem. That is not the case. The logins on these sites only last for so long before expiring, as a security measure. When you get signed out, you just have to sign back in with your usual password.

Feb 1, 2013 9:46 AM in response to thomas_r.

Just occasionally, I get warnings from iCloud that there was a problem with iCloud and I find myself having to log back in. Doing this, I then get a shivering window that tells me the password was incorrect, so I have to do it again. That has happened on more than one occasion.

Ultimately, I would like to restore all my old passwords i.e. those I easily remember. In the old days before iCloud, I used to have to sign in to access my webmail every 2 or 3 weeks, but that wasn't a problem. It was just a security issue where, I believe, Apple's systems would insist that I do this. I don't know why I still get these impromptu warnings. It's obvious to me that I need to create a memo and print it off to remember which password I need to use for whichever situation demands that I sign in.

Feb 1, 2013 9:57 AM in response to sapper

Apple's security measures are shrouded in mystery. The problem you describe may or may not be the result of anything you did, but suffice it to say a constant need to change your password as you describe is most definitely not normal. Please consider the others' responses and confirm that this really is happening.

If this is so, I wonder if the constant need to reset your password is due to an attempt on someone else's part to log in to an Apple service using your Apple ID, resulting in some automatically generated, repeated need to reset your password.

These attempts may or may not be malicious - perhaps someone else thinks his Apple ID is yours, or is simply mistyping it repeatedly, causing the account to be invalidated. Given your Apple ID (which only you know) do you think this is possible?

Consider changing your Apple ID to another one - do not create a new one, change yours here:

https://appleid.apple.com

1. Click the blue Manage your Apple ID button
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID and password
  3. Answer your security questions, when prompted
  4. Click Name, ID, and Email Addresses on the left column
  5. Next to Apple ID and Primary Email Address click Edit

No Edit button will appear if your existing Apple ID ends in mac.com

6. Supply a new email address to be used for your Apple ID that conforms to the listed criteria
  7. Save Changes

The only problem for you is that you will need to use another email address. If you do not already have a spare email account that you can use, you will need to create another. It cannot be one already associated with your Apple ID or anyone else's, and cannot use an Apple domain (e.g. mac.com, icloud.com or me.com).

Once changed, all your account information, purchase history, Apple Support Communities ID etc will carry over to this Apple ID. As far as I know you will not be able to use the previous one ever again, so take that into consideration before changing it.

CT wrote:

We're sorry, but to obtain an answer to this question you will have to reset your password.

😁

I'm getting thoroughly annoyed with having to create new passwords to access Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.