Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Get Java To Work - 10.6.8

Hi! Anyone know what's going on with this? All of the sudden all of my 10.6.8 Macs running the 1.6.0_37 version of JAVA SE 6 can't run JAVA?!? On all 3 browsers. Safari (5.1.7), Firefox (18.0.1) and Chrome (24.0.1312.57). We get the blasted 'Inactive Plug-in' error. And when we click on the Inactive Plugin error, it automatically launches Software Update. But there's nothing in Software Update related to JAVA to update?!?! Anyone know what's going on?

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 7:22 AM

15 replies

Feb 1, 2013 9:12 AM in response to Lanny

So i found that by deleting the XProtect.meta.plist file, did the trick. Only problem is, when you reboot, it puts it right back. AND... there are concerns for security. But as a temporary fix, i'll take my chances.

Here's what you do...

Quit out of all browsers. Using Finder, go to System - Library - CoreServices and righ-click on CoreTypes.bundle. Control + Click CoreTypes.bundle and choose Show Package Contents and then go into Contents and then the Resources folder. Scroll down to the end and look for Xprotect.meta.plist in the list and delete it.

Feb 1, 2013 3:14 PM in response to Marc Monaro

UPDATE:

Oracle on Friday February 1 released a new version reportedly addressing vulnerabilities seen with the last build.

Apple disabled Java 7 through the OS X XProtect anti-malware system, requiring users to have at least version "1.7.0_10-b19" installed on their Macs. The release dated February 1 carries the designation "1.7.0_13-b20," meeting Apple's requirements.

Oracle "strongly recommends" applying the CPU fixes as soon as possible, saying that the latest Critical Patch Update contains 50 new security fixes across all Jave SE products.

Feb 1, 2013 4:56 PM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1 wrote:

UPDATE:

Oracle on Friday February 1 released a new version reportedly addressing vulnerabilities seen with the last build.

Apple disabled Java 7 through the OS X XProtect anti-malware system, requiring users to have at least version "1.7.0_10-b19" installed on their Macs. The release dated February 1 carries the designation "1.7.0_13-b20," meeting Apple's requirements.=

Not pertinent, since SL can't run Java 7, What Apple did was block Java 6's JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum by adding 1.6.0_37-b06-435 in the list. Seehttps://discussions.apple.com/thread/4762386?answerId=21097168022#21097168022&ac_cid=tw123456#21097168 for details on how to restore Java functionality in SL.

Feb 1, 2013 5:58 PM in response to Marc Monaro

Java 7 updated for 10.7-10.8

Released Feb 1, 2013, fixes 50+ security flaws

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/patches/oracle-responds-to-java-security-flaws-wi th-50-fixes.html

Download and install

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml

For Java versions 6 and below OS X 10.5-10.6 machines

Apple supplies their own version of Java. For Mac OS X 10.6 and below, use the Software Update feature available under the Apple menu to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java 6 for your Mac.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_6.xml

Java SE 6 End of Public Updates

After February 2013, Oracle will no longer post updates of Java SE 6 to its public download sites. We highly recommend downloading and installing Java 7.

If your considering upgrading OS X from 10.6.8 to 10.8 via AppStore to run Java 7

Be forewarned no PowerPC based programs or driver software will run any longer.

Check here BEFORE you upgrade OS X!

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Alternatives if you must run Java 7

If Apple disabled Java 6 in 10.6, and you can't upgrade OS X to 10.8, then your pretty much done with Java in OS X because Oracle won't issue updates for Java 6 anymore.

However you can install Windows 7 and continue to use Java 7+ there until support for Windows 7 ends in 2020. 🙂

Windows in BootCamp or Virtual Machine?

If your on 10.6, I very highly recommend the free Virtualbox for the virtual machine software as it gets updates, VMFusion and Parallels have moved on with only 10.7+

Feb 1, 2013 9:00 PM in response to Marc Monaro

Check Software Update...

APPLE-SA-2013-02-01-1 Java for Mac OS X v10.6 Update 12

Java for Mac OS X v10.6 Update 12 is now available and addresses the

following:

Java

Available for: Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X Server v10.6.8

Impact: Multiple vulnerabilities in Java 1.6.0_37

Description: Multiple vulnerabilities exist in Java 1.6.0_37, the most serious of which may allow an untrusted Java applet to execute arbitrary code outside the Java sandbox. Visiting a web page containing a maliciously crafted untrusted Java applet may lead to arbitrary code execution with the privileges of the current user.

These issues are addressed by updating to Java version 1.6.0_39.

Further information is available via the Java website at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/releasenotes-136954.html

Mar 26, 2013 6:47 PM in response to Marc Monaro

Hi, I was able to solve this with the help of my IT department. Since Apple doesn't support Java any more we need to figure out a few things. First ensure that you have the latest version of Java down loaded for the Mac. After you do that you will need to follow these steps.

Open your system preferences in the top left corner and go to the Java tab and select view. There you will find the version of the Java and it will already be selected or checked. If so go over to the Security tab and unselect the Enable Java content in the browser and then reselect this item.( The IT person said this does something but I didn't notice anything). Then Proceed to JavaTester.org in Safari and automatically you will see what Java version you are using. You may have to refresh multiple times to eventually see your Java Version show in the pink box in the center of the screen. After you have see your version you may have to locate your Network connect and uninstall this. Once you remote in you will automatically reinstall network connector application and you should no longer get the Java coco error message.

Hope this helps,

David

Can't Get Java To Work - 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.