Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected Access to Other Users' Accounts

I just discovered tonight that I when I search for files, files in other user's accounts on this computer show up. I can open them too, but throwing them away requires that user's password. Searching the internet to see if this is a normal feature, I find questions about how to access other user's files and comments that even administrators cannot do this. Is this normal or abnormal behavior? Fast user switching is not enabled. Does anyone know where solid information can be found about the "barriers" between users' accounts? Thanks.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 11:13 AM

Hello,

On one of these other user's folders holding these files, in Finder do a Get Info on rhat Folder, look at the bottom for Rights & Privileges... Owner, Group & others, report what it says.

5 replies

Feb 2, 2013 2:33 AM in response to BDAqua

Ah, thanks, BDAqua. I see that at the user level, each user folder is set to read only. So if the users aren't saving their files in their enclosed "no access" folders, but at their base user level, they are read only. If we set each user folder to "no access", then others would not be able to access the shared folder either. Is there a way to set access priviledges for users on this computer so that they're the same for users on this network? Users on the network only see the "drop box" when they open a user folder.

Unexpected Access to Other Users' Accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.