Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD not waking sleeping clients?

I have ARD (3.6.1) running on one of my OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2) admin machines and I'm having an issue where I can't wake sleeping machines, via ARD, on the LAN.

I'm building Lion and Mountain Lion "base images" for scaled deployment and I'd like to set them so that they go to sleep after X amount of time. But, for whatever reason, ARD can't wait these machines once they go to sleep. I've never found ARD very consistent on how it does WOL, but I was hoping that with clean installations of both Lion and Mountain Lion (up-to-date per OS), with up-to-date ARD clients, with client machines set to "Wake for Ethernet network access", etc., that it would finally work properly. But, I just can't get ARD to wake these sleeping machines.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this might be happening? I rely on ARD for remoate management of all Macs I manage (for end-user support, maintenance, etc.) so I need to be able to "connect" to these machine. And without WOL working properly, I have to set our machines to never go to sleep (which is really annoying).

So, if anyone has any suggestions, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kristin.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 11:17 AM

6 replies

Feb 1, 2013 11:20 AM in response to kristin.

Are these workstations on the same subnet as your administrator system, or on different subnets? If they're on different subnets, that's most likely at least part of the problem. WOL uses Directed Broadcast, something most network administrators turn off in their routers to cut down chatter on the network. You might ask your network admin about this.

Regards.

Feb 1, 2013 11:52 AM in response to varjak paw

Yea, I have an old router that I have Tomato installed on just for performing WOL (which is does very well). It doesn't do anything but WOL. It's just annoying to have to log into this box just to wake a machine, when this is something that ARD should be able to do as a basic function (as you kinda need to wake a machine if you want to work on it). I guess they just assume people leave their machines on 24/7...

ARD not waking sleeping clients?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.