Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I extract GPS coordinates from an iPhone5 photo

How do I extract GPS coordinates from an iPhone5 photo?

Place will show me where the photo was taken, but I don't seem to find any info in either the Get Info display for the photo or from any of the Aperture 3 listing under the Info (metadata) tab.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:00 PM

9 replies

Feb 1, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Don O'Shea

Yes I see what you are saying - no GPS lat & long info available in iphoto.

Preview used to have this information in the inspector window (ie open the pic in Preview then command-i ) under the More.

The Help menu still makes reference to this, but I don't see it happening.

I know in GraphicConverter you can see and or edit the the GPS from the drop down menu.

Do you have GIMP, PhotoShop or GraphicConverter?

There is an app in the AppStore

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/koredoko-where-the-photo/id286765236?mt=8

Or search photo gps, Exif and GPS Viewer, or some such to find more.

Feb 2, 2013 6:45 AM in response to Don O'Shea

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

The solution to my dilemma was simple...once I finally understood the problem.

To see the GPS coordinates tabs in Preview or Graphicconverter, you have to have GPS coordinates in the EXIF data.

I went to Location Services on my iPhone 5 and found that while many apps were activated, Camera was not.

I turned on Camera on my iPhone, took a shot of my study, and saved the image to my desktop. Both Preview and Graphicconverter showed the GPS tag as well as a new GPS tab in the Info tab in Aperture 3.

Onward...

Don

BTW, all of this was occasioned by coyotes in Atlanta.

Jun 17, 2013 12:16 PM in response to wwrider

wwrider wrote:

I have the same dillema with my iPad. My gps for camera is enabled and I can read these coordinates after transferring photo to my desktop but is there any way to display them on ipad itself and perhaps using Google Earth, see this place on the map?

Any input will be appreciated.

Open the Photos app.

At the bottom, tap Places.

How do I extract GPS coordinates from an iPhone5 photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.