Skip navigation

air play on imac

203 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 1:13 PM by ssls6 RSS
radlandon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 1, 2013 11:40 AM

I have a mid-year 2011 iMac with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 and just bought Apple TV. I got everything set up, but I have no air play icon on my iMac. Everything I've read says that my model should work fine, but there is no icon. I've tried going into system preferences> displays, and that still didn't work. Please help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)
  • ssls6 Level 4 Level 4 (2,410 points)
    Feb 1, 2013 11:44 AM (in response to radlandon)

I think airplay is a mountain lion thing.  I would check if Lion is OK.

Feb 1, 2013 12:49 PM (in response to radlandon)

An updated Mac OS Lion is not the same thing as Mac OS Moutain Lion.  I think you must be running mountain lion.

• mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,470 points)
    Feb 1, 2013 12:55 PM (in response to radlandon)

You indicate that you are running OS X 10.7.5, and this version belongs to OS X Lion. However, your Mac is compatible with AirPlay Mirroring > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404

AirPlay Mirroring requires OS X Mountain Lion, so you have two possibilities to stream your computer onto the Apple TV:

1. Open App Store, purchase Mountain Lion and upgrade OS X. After upgrading, you will see the AirPlay icon on the menu bar.

2. Keep OS X Lion and download AirParrot > http://www.airparrot.com

• mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,470 points)
    Feb 1, 2013 1:10 PM (in response to radlandon)

If you buy Mountain Lion, you will be able to use AirPlay Mirroring. See my last comment

Feb 1, 2013 1:13 PM (in response to radlandon)

It works for me on a mid 2011 MBA.  My 21" mid 2010 and 27 late 09" are too old for airplay but both run mountain lion.  Apple knowledge base (the place you looked up to see if your mid 2011 was OK) says mountain lion.  Not proof positive but pretty close.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.