Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6 server install disk download iso????

I need to rebuild my RAID and need to reinstall snow leopard server, but I can't find the install disk. Where can I download the image??

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:04 PM

8 replies

Feb 1, 2013 1:39 PM in response to A Flinders

Server 10.6 was only available as a DVD. It has a complex serial number that is required for activation. There was an additional CD in the package with Server Admin Tools, (but those CAN be downloaded).

The DVD contains a 10.6 WITH Server install, and a 10.6 Server ADD_ON Install if you already have 10.6 in place and just need to add Server.

Feb 1, 2013 1:53 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have none of the original software disks. I DO NOT have the DvD.

The only way I have found online to rebuild the RAID (I'm changing RAID configurations) that the system volume is on is to do it using the install DvD.

I could migrate my system (a minimized system necessary only portion of it anyways) to an external disk, boot of that and then re-RAID the internal disks, but it seems like I CAN NOT do a full time machine recovery afterwards without the install disks again.

*** the apple?

Feb 1, 2013 3:50 PM in response to A Flinders

Macs can boot from any disk, internal or external. There is nothing magical about the original RAID you installed. A copy is as good as the original.

If it is still viable, make a clone of it on another drive and boot from the clone.

If you have Installed MacOS X Server on a RAID that has now failed, and have no bootable backup and no Installer/Utilities DVD, you have a much bigger problem than not being able to find your disc.

Feb 1, 2013 3:59 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yup, thats what I was saying above. The issue is though that I therefore need to carve down what I toss on an external boot drive. I can't transfer over everything that is on the RAID, because it amounts to about 4 TB of disk space and I dont have that free on an external.

I could (as I mentioned above) put just the system necessetiies on a boot drive and do what I described above, but then I would still need to restore from my seperate TM drive.........which I CAN NOT do without the installer dvd.

Feb 1, 2013 4:31 PM in response to A Flinders

a full time machine recovery

Why are you so obsessed with a full, automatic Time Machine recovery of everything in one gulp?

System stuff is in System Directories. It amounts to about 20GB. The vast majority of that stuff is invariant. It can be copied, restored, re-installed with impunity.

The Boot Drive also has the Open Directory database, if you are using that, but the Open Directory database can be archived and restored separately. The original Admin user is on there as well.

User stuff is ALL in /Users or wherever you have re-assigned it. It can be restored piecemeal, but you may need to log in as Root to get all the permissions right.

----

I realize all the stuff you find online tells you to boot from the Installer DVD. Those are general solutions that always work and don't require as many additional drives. You have some different constraints. There are many other ways to do what you need to do.

If your Boot RAID is destroyed and non-functional, and you have no backup, and you have no Server DVD, you should contact Apple to get a replacement Server DVD. I do not expect it will be free.

Feb 1, 2013 4:43 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

"Why are you so obsessed with a full, automatic Time Machine recovery of everything in one gulp? "

Frankly, restoring TM piecemeal is a giant pain in the but, and with all that multiple hardlinking going on in a TM directory structure I wouldnt want it to be my only choice....

If you have a command line suggestion I'm open all ears.

My boot raid is not destroyed (see the OP).

And YES, I know there are other solutions, the easiest is to (as I have said thrice) make a bootable system, and cp everything else to a second external. But I've just spent the last 3 days doing a TM backup, and am not really looking forward to wiping that drive and doing a 3 day rsync to make a stand alone non TM backup.

10.6 server install disk download iso????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.