Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore corrupted Mail files

My iMac (running OS X 10.7.5) crashed and needed to be hard rebooted. Once back up, everything was fine except for Mail (version 5.3). When I start Mail I'm taken to the welcome screen used to setup the first email account.

Using Time Machine I restored the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

~/Library/Mail/*

~/Library/Application Support/Mail/*

Despite restoring these files/folders, Mail doesn't seem to recongnize my original setup.

Does anyone know what I'm missing? How do I get Mail to return to the previous state I had in place?

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:17 PM

1 reply

Feb 2, 2013 10:43 AM in response to RickMaddy

It turns out that I need to pay more attention. After I first rebooted after the crash and then ran Mail, Mail popped up a dialog asking ot setup a new account. I then restored all of the files I stated earlier from TM. When I ran Mail again, mail popped up a dialog. My lack of attention didn't let me see that this dialog was not the same as before. I wasn't being asked to setup a new account, I was asked about importing existing messages. So this time I chose to continue. After the import process completed, I was back in business.

So the morale of this story is to may better attention. 🙂

Restore corrupted Mail files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.