Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

am i able to upgrade to snow leopard.

have a mac os 10.5.8 G5 power PC. this is not an imac! if i cant up grade. can i pull hard drives out to use with a newer system and throw old tower in trash? thanks in advance for your help.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 2:09 PM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2013 3:25 PM in response to bkinblack

The PM G5s used serial ATA hard drives.These are still usable in some of the newer systems. So...

If your new system is a Mac Pro, then it will fit hansomely into one of the three empty slots.

For all other new Macs, you could still use it in an external enclosure from various manufacturers.

However, the OS (10.5.8) on your old drive will not run on any of the new Macs.

Availing yourself of either option i mentioned would allow you to use the old drive and data for migrating to the new Mac. While the folks at the Apple store would not be able to install this drive in your new baby, they would be able to help you with the data transfer should you require it.

MM

am i able to upgrade to snow leopard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.