Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tips on number of disk partitions and size with Mac Os and Win

Partitions for Mac OS and Win OS:

I am going to set up my Mac Book for the first time now. I have been using windows a lot but I am all new to Mac. In Windows, I use one partition for Win OS and all my programs, and one for all my user data. I was thinking of having the same scheme on my MBP: One Mac system / program partition (Mac OS Extended Journaled), one Mac user data partition (Mac OS Extended Journaled), one Win OS / program partition (FAT) and one Win user partition (FAT). Is this possible with Mac Disk utility and boot camp? Having separate OS/program partitions and user data partitions makes things easier if one have to reinstall or upgrade OS. My SSD disk is 480GB. I will be using Win and Mac OS approx. 50/50% . How much space should I set aside for each partition? 50-80GB on each OS partition and the rest divided equally between the user data partitions? Anny thoughts around this would be most welcome.

Regards Trond

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 2:31 PM

There's no need to create a separate partition for user data. OS X upgrades and reinstallations (which are hardly ever necessary) preserve all data.

If you intend to use Boot Camp, you should not create partitions on your own.

1 reply

Tips on number of disk partitions and size with Mac Os and Win

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.