Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID change

I have changed my Apple ID account and password with PC iTunes (i was using my friends one) but when I want to update an App the old ID comes up requesting previous password....How I can fix this problem ?? Thanks in advance !!! 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 11:15 PM

If you updated your existing account then try logging out of it on the iPad by tapping on the id in Settings > iTunes & App Stores and then log back in and see if that 'refreshes' the account on the iPad. If you created a new account then any content that you purchased/downloaded via the old account will remain tied to that old account, and only that old account can download updates to its apps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2013 11:15 PM in response to andreas_oa

If you updated your existing account then try logging out of it on the iPad by tapping on the id in Settings > iTunes & App Stores and then log back in and see if that 'refreshes' the account on the iPad. If you created a new account then any content that you purchased/downloaded via the old account will remain tied to that old account, and only that old account can download updates to its apps.

Apr 25, 2015 2:43 AM in response to King_Penguin

I have a 4 month old ipad and was using it under my wife's Apple ID but have changed to my Apple ID recently to have more control. I changing the Apple ID in Itunes and Stores and Cloud means the ipad is now under my apple ID.

I have deleted and reinstall all the apps I first installed under my wife's ID so that they will now be under my ID. However, there are Apple apps that came with the ipad. I was subsequently prompted to update them and when I couldn't, I am thinking it is because they were probably under my wife's ID when we first logged in and used the ipad. Is that the reason? I then deleted the apps and tried to reinstall the apps now with my Apple ID but they are Apple apps and now they will cost me $12.00 - $14.00 to install. How can I reinstall these default Apple apps that first came with the ipad, without paying since it is my ID now?

What about pictures that I have taken and are stored in the 'Photos' Apple app under my wife's ID? If there is an update for this app, will I have a problem updating with my ID? If I have to delete and reinstall, must I pay for the app again like the above? Also, will the pictures be deleted?

What other changes should I do to ensure that everything is under my Apple ID now?

Apr 25, 2015 7:35 AM in response to chipss

Yes, if the apps (I assume that you are referring to apps such as Pages, Numbers, iMovie), if they were preinstalled on the iPad (they are only pre-installed on iPads with 32 gig or more, on smaller capacity iPads they are optional free, for the account that activated the iPad, downloads from the store) and her account was used to activate the iPad then they will have become tied to her account.

If you want to download the apps on your account then you will have to pay for them - they are only free to the account that originally activated the iPad, not to an account that is subsequently used on it : Free Apple apps for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 8 - Apple Support.

The Photos app is built-in to iOS (so can't be deleted and/or downloaded from the store), it can only be updated by updating the whole operating system - as such it's not tied to an account.

Apr 25, 2015 8:11 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks a bunch. I understand it now. Yes, mine is a 64GB. That is why the apps were there.

Now I wish I had started with my own Apple ID. Now I have to leave those Apple apps that were there under my wife's account and if updating is needed, to either key in or switch to her ID. What a hassle.

I wonder how it will affect me now when I do a sync with iCloud. That probably means those stuff with anything in the apps under my wife's ID will not be synced. 😟

Apr 25, 2015 8:20 AM in response to chipss

If you mean back up to the cloud then it should work (I only use the one account so I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it should back up those apps, if you have them selected to back up) - no iTunes downloads are included in a backup (nether to the cloud nor to a computer's iTunes), the backup contains things like settings, documents etc, an iCloud restore will redownload what it can from the store, an iTunes restore will look to pick them up from your computer's iTunes library.

Apple ID change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.