Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my computer say its connected through wi-fi but wont open a web page, why does my computer say its connected through wi-fi but wont open a web page but will work if im hardwired into the internet

my computer is showing full connection through the airport but wont open any web pages it says it is not connected to the internet... When i hard wire the internet in with the cord it works just fine so i think i somehow messed up or turned of my wi fi capability but i show my airport is on

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 4:00 PM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2013 4:09 PM in response to abbylynne

Your computer is showing it's connected to the Wifi router all right, but perhaps the router isn't connected to the Internet.

If your connecting the Ethernet cable directly to the modem and resetting it, bypassing th erouter and then getting online, fine that's good.

If your connecting to the router directly and getting on the Internet fine, it means the router is connected to the Internet.

If the last one is true then likely what has occured is your DCHP lease is expired because your computer doesn't have the right time and date as the router, it's showing a good signal but your not connecting.

Open System Preference and check the date and time and set it to update to Apple's time server for your location.

Sometimes Apple's time is off, as third party routers get their time elsewhere and sometimes the two don't match and thus DCHP lease is expired.

..WiFi, Internet problems, possible solutions

why does my computer say its connected through wi-fi but wont open a web page, why does my computer say its connected through wi-fi but wont open a web page but will work if im hardwired into the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.