Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Macbook Pro HDMI - external display turns off intermittently

Hi all,

When I have an external display connected to my Macbook Pro (retina) via HDMI, every hour or so the external display will turn off (go black) for about 5 seconds and then turn back on.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 3:23 PM

9 replies

May 12, 2013 8:51 PM in response to UnitedWeFall

Same issue, though mine turns black for less than 5 seconds. I'd say 2 or 3 seconds.

I'd really like to figure out why.

I've had a few macbook pro retina's before this one, and this one is the first to do this, which makes me think it's specific to some macbook pro retinas, and it's not the hdmi cable or the monitor i suspect. Although I have not tried other cables or monitors. I will soon.

Jun 13, 2013 9:26 AM in response to UnitedWeFall

I am also experiencing this problem. Has anyone solved it yet?

Thanks!

Here are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02

SMC Version (system): 2.3f35

Jun 15, 2013 7:19 PM in response to UnitedWeFall

Me too. I just recently started using the HDMI port and this intermittent disconnect reconnect is annoying. Everything I've placed on the external drive moves to the Retina and has to be moved back each time. I've swtiched out cables but it didn't help. It also occasionally goes black and the external display comes back on with a crackling sound and multicolored pixels in no pattern.

I have the mid 2012 Retina 15" running Lion (10.7.5) and just switched to using this port. Monitor is a 24" LG.

Sep 13, 2013 3:53 PM in response to UnitedWeFall

Hi all - I think I managed to fix this (after speaking to apple support) by resetting the SMC - which is the power managemet system - to do this check this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

That managed to fix the intermittent flickering I was having - but I also found that by changing the output settings (I originally had it on 50Hz @1080p and changed to 60Hz @ 1080i) I also saw a huge improvement

hope this helps

Retina Macbook Pro HDMI - external display turns off intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.