Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Got a new charger should I reset the SMC?

Hello,

This is a continuation of this prevously written thread:

85W MagSafe Adapter gone bad... How to minimize the damage to my MacBook Pro's internal battery?

So the reason why I am writing the following post is that last wednesday I was able to purchase a new 85W adapter from OWC. The adapter matched the model number of the MagSafe adapter that came with my MacBook Pro. However, before I use that adapter for the first time, I would like to know if its necessary that I perform an SMC reset since my MacBook Pro was charged previously with a faulty functioning adapter (see the thread link above)? or if that is overkill and I should just plug the new charger and let my MacBook charge.

Thanks for any quick responses to my question.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Core i5 2.53; 4GB; NVIDIA 330m 256

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 3:43 PM

No, that's unnecessary.

4 replies

Feb 1, 2013 3:54 PM in response to vea1083

vea1083 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply gentlemen... I'll plug the computer to the new MagSafe adapter.

Will report back shortly...

Ok the charger is showing the correct status lights and it seems to be charging correctly. So everything seems to be working as expected. I am very satified with OWC being the charger vendor this time.

What I will do is the following, I want to award you both for the correct answer so I will do the following, I will split the 10 points in 2 by marking your answers as helpful.

Got a new charger should I reset the SMC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.