Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashes due to .FlashScreenSaverMaster.tmp. How to fix?

I have a Macbook Pro. Every time I use Safari it crashes and a box pops up asking me to send a crash report. It says that Safari crashed while using .FlashScreenSaverMaster.tmp. I do not know what this is or how to get rid of it. In the pop up box it says the path of the tmp. is

/Users/admin/Library/Application Support/.FlashScreenSaverMaster.tmp , but when I search for it I cannot find it. Please help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 6:08 PM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2013 6:37 PM in response to HarmonC

You’ve been infected with the “Flashback” malware. See this Apple support document:

About Flashback malware

Back up all data, if you haven't already done so.

From the menu bar, select

Software Update

to install the latest Java update, as well as any other available updates. That should clear the infection in most cases. You must update to the latest version of OS X 10.6 or 10.7 before you can install the Java update.

The removal tool runs automatically in the background and is then deleted. Don’t look for something to click. If the malware is removed, you’ll be notified.

After you’ve secured your system — not before — change every Internet password you have, starting with banking passwords, and check all financial accounts for unauthorized transactions.

Safari crashes due to .FlashScreenSaverMaster.tmp. How to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.