Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware! "Flashback" disguised as Adobe Flash.

When running Norton AntiVirus on my 15" MacBook Pro I discovered malware lurking in Adobe Flash. It's actually a fake Flash called "Flashback."

When attempting to repair or remove it, Norton say it can't reapir or remove.

I'm no expert. What to do??

Thanks,

Paul

Redondo Beach, cA

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Malware

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 7:59 PM

First get rid of Norton. I wouldn't believe anything that piece of junk software said. You can remove Adobe Flash by using the Adobe Flash remover gotten from the Adobe web site. Then download Flash only from the Adobe web site. However, I would suspect there is nothing amiss.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2013 7:59 PM in response to Write2Paul90277

First get rid of Norton. I wouldn't believe anything that piece of junk software said. You can remove Adobe Flash by using the Adobe Flash remover gotten from the Adobe web site. Then download Flash only from the Adobe web site. However, I would suspect there is nothing amiss.

Feb 1, 2013 11:15 PM in response to Write2Paul90277

About Flashback malware

Back up all data, if you haven't already done so.

From the menu bar, select

Software Update

to install the latest Java update, as well as any other available updates. That should clear the infection in most cases. You must update to the latest version of OS X 10.6 or 10.7 before you can install the Java update.

The removal tool runs automatically in the background and is then deleted. Don’t look for something to click. If the malware is removed, you’ll be notified.

Malware! "Flashback" disguised as Adobe Flash.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.