Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring HD from TimeCapsule (TC) but backed up contents not recognized

Hello,

Backed up to TC before doing anything even though it was backing up several times a day.

My MacBook Pro HD stopped working. From recovery mode disk utility found HD unrepairable. Called Apple and after trying many things they said erase the HD, reinstall ML and use TC to pull the data forward. I connected TC to MacBook Pro via ethernet. However, in the migration assistant the MacBook Pro TC backups are not recognized.

I use the TC to back up both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. But only my iMac backups are displayed.

How to I get TC to be recognized so I can do a complete restore of my data?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 4:57 PM

Hello,

I was on the phone with Apple today. After resetting the TC and erasing the HD and reinstalling the OS again, the Apple folks had me do the migraton assistant again. This time I was taliking with a TC support person. When it came time in the process to recognize and select the MacBook Pro data on the TC, he had me wait about 30 seconds. And sure enough after that time both the TC data for my iMac AND for my MacBook Pro were displayed and I could select the correct one. My previous mistake was going with the first selection and not giving TC enough time to display both back ups.

So after the 30 second wait and selecting the correct Back Up, everything went perfectly.

Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone out there!

🙂

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2013 4:57 PM in response to Western AZ Mac

Hello,

I was on the phone with Apple today. After resetting the TC and erasing the HD and reinstalling the OS again, the Apple folks had me do the migraton assistant again. This time I was taliking with a TC support person. When it came time in the process to recognize and select the MacBook Pro data on the TC, he had me wait about 30 seconds. And sure enough after that time both the TC data for my iMac AND for my MacBook Pro were displayed and I could select the correct one. My previous mistake was going with the first selection and not giving TC enough time to display both back ups.

So after the 30 second wait and selecting the correct Back Up, everything went perfectly.

Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone out there!

🙂

Restoring HD from TimeCapsule (TC) but backed up contents not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.