Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro keeps restarting out of the blue

It's been doing it for a couple of weeks already. As far as I can tell, its very random. It happens at any time, ive tried to see if its a specific program, but it restarts at random times. I did an SMC reset and that didn't do anything. Lastly, i wiped my hard drive and restored my laptop to brand new and 10 minutes into running a fresh install (without any of my data transfered back in yet) it did it again.. Anyone got any ideas??

Ps. the hard drive is only 6 months old, and when the old one started going bad, it didn't present this type of problem.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2012 Model

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:53 PM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2013 11:25 PM in response to latinaso

Oh, well that's a different story - you may have the dreaded 2010 model failing NVIDIA card - see http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US.

You should be able to get a free logic board replacement to fix the issue. Use the "Contact" link on the site that I provided and get the ball rolling!

Good luck,

Clinton

Feb 4, 2013 3:53 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thank you Clinton, I went to the Apple service center today and they ran their diagnostic test and found out that the graphics card was indeed failing! They will replace the logic board for free, I probably wouldn't have found out about it if you hadn't suggested it! I don't have warranty and in a couple of months would be the 3 year replacement period. So again, thank you! Hope this thread helps future people having the same problem.

My Macbook Pro keeps restarting out of the blue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.