Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got a faulty remote with refurbished Apple TV I recently purchased. The remote is not working at all. I changed the batteries too, but it is not working at all. I am so disappointed with the quality of Apple.

I recently purchased refurbished Apple TV to save few bucks, but I spend more than what I saved on refurbished one. I would suggest every one not to buy any refurbished product from Apple online store. The remote which come along with the unit is not working at all. I changed couple of batteries as I thought initially that the batteries may not be working but no success at all. I saved $14 on refurbished unit, but in total I have spend $10 to fix the issue but still it hasn't been fixed yet. I have taken an appointment for yesterday at Toronto Eaton center Apple store and again it will cost me atleast $25 again ($15 for parking and $10 for gas as I have to drive from Hamilton).

Does any one else have the same issue like this?

Apple TV (3rd generation), Windows 7, Apple TV remote not working

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:16 PM

6 replies

Feb 2, 2013 12:09 AM in response to Amol Soni

Does the light on the unit flicker when you use the remote?

If so try holding menu and left arrow key together for 6 secs.

AC

PS - I've had several apple refurbs over the years and in general apart from plain packaging they were like new. You've had bad luck.. Have you contacted them regarding the purchase - they would probably have picked up and replaced it for free. It's always possible it's the AppleTV not the remote. Does seem in this case the saving to get a reurb unit may be more hassle than getting new.

AC

Feb 2, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Alley_Cat

As I said, I tried everything what the manual says, but hard luck. I have taken an appointment for today, lets see what happens.

Also there is no activity on unit when I use the remote. The unit is stuck on the first page itself where we have to choose the language. The unit seems to be fine to me but the real problem is remote does'nt have activity. The IR is not responding while pressing any of the button.

Feb 2, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Amol Soni

Amol Soni wrote:

As I said, I tried everything what the manual says, but hard luck. I have taken an appointment for today, lets see what happens.

Also there is no activity on unit when I use the remote. The unit is stuck on the first page itself where we have to choose the language. The unit seems to be fine to me but the real problem is remote does'nt have activity. The IR is not responding while pressing any of the button.

Good luck with your appointment.

Not much consolation but even new products can have issues and might need a trip to a store to return/replace.

The reason i asked about the LED on the AppleTV is that occasionally it thinks it's paired with a specific remote and ignores others - the unpair keypress I described is quick and free.

AC

I got a faulty remote with refurbished Apple TV I recently purchased. The remote is not working at all. I changed the batteries too, but it is not working at all. I am so disappointed with the quality of Apple.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.