Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save as ProRes 422 format always instead of H264?

My head is about to explode...this seems like it should be such a simple question. I've been reading for seemingly hours and don't feel like I've made any progress! :-O

So situation is I have a number of movies as MTS files (originally taken from a Sony DSC-RX100 camera); all relatively short in length, never really longer than a few minutes. I normally use iMovie, but on occasion play with FCP also.

I have been reading about lots and lots of MTS converters (free and paid), and regardless of what app I use, I am mostly wondering what format I SHOULD be converting these into in order to have a file that is high-quality and flexible for relatively basic future use? And then I don't want to keep tons of basically unnecessary files, so I would prefer to convert to a "usable" format and then get rid of the MTS files assuming I don't need them.

The H.264 file format (of those below) actually looked the best to me after importing all the different files into iMove to take a look (though the others all produced an initial error message, though upon reopening iMovie could be viewed).

To play around, I converted a 200MB MTS file into a 110MB MOV (H.264 file) file using Xilisoft HD Video Converter, and into a ~1.6GB ProRes 422 file and ~900MG AIC file using Clipwrap (both produced errors for some reason, but did import). I also tried converting into a MOV file using Total Video Converter Lite, though iMove produced terrible quality video... I tried some other formats than the above but there were artifacts galore...

Anyway, I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times, though when I read here it seems to be folks looking to do more advanced editing than me...

There needs to be a "video file format for dummies book"

"If you are a basic user and need to convert your MTS files, just conver them to _____ and stop thinking about it..."

Thanks all!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Capsule

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 10:27 PM

2 replies

Feb 2, 2013 5:12 AM in response to aquestionortwo

The simple answer is to use the Apple Intermediate Codec version.

The ProRes 422 version is superior to AIC, but if you only use iMovie, you are unlikely to get the benefits of its superiority.

The only reason you have ProRes 422 as an option is that you have FCP installed. If all you had was iMovie, ProRes 422 would not be an option.

As you probably know, in the future you can import directly from your camera (or through a card reader) and you will not have to worry about all this conversion.

Save as ProRes 422 format always instead of H264?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.