Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my apple TV to my IMac?

I have the apple TV and an IMac, and wanted to know if there is an adapter that will connect the two so I can use my apple TV on my IMac?

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 3:49 AM

15 replies

Sep 13, 2017 7:46 AM in response to Rudegar

Rudegar: Solid question; I'm also looking for the same function as the OP so i thought i'd answer your question (after many years lol). A specific example is, as I'm watching the new Apple Keynote on AppleTV and need to step out of the room (i.e. Bathroom) it would be ideal if I could just bring the laptop or iOS device with me and pick up exactly where I'm at on the TV. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be easily available. I believe "easy" is the key word that both the OP and myself are specifically looking for and after some research, it does not appear to be possible.

Nov 28, 2017 5:47 AM in response to vazandrew

No. It’s not. What we want to do is view all of AppleTV’s functions on our iMac screens and use it’s powerful and function-filled remote to navigate as one can with a TV monitor.

While it’s true we can view much of the same content in iTunes, the app based content from many networks does not work on iTunes and/or not compatible with MacOS. For example, using the PBS app on iOS is seamless compared to the browser based interface of their ill designed website. Same with SlingTV and DirecTV Now. Moreover, switching from Netflix to Youtube to Amazon means going to the computer’s browser and searching for shows or the last episode one watched. Browsers are dumb.

With AppleTv, one can navigate through the curated list of channels and apps from anywhere in the room. Apple makes it available on iPhone and iPad iOS, so why not on MacOS?

We have three 27-inch iMacs (graphic designer & photographer), all of which far exceed the quality of the average television, which we have not owned since 2006. A 27-inch iMac sits in our living room (and those of my sister and our neighbor and another coworker) functioning as our “television.” For us, that’s 10+ years. I wish Apple would catch up.

Jun 8, 2016 1:25 AM in response to vinolin

no usb is an universal serial bus for it to do anything a driver has to be present

you can connect your appletv to your mac with a normal usb cable but only! for the purpose of restoring a crashed firmware it enable iTunes on the computer to connect to the appletv and override the failed firmware with a working one.

How do I connect my apple TV to my IMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.