Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop iPhoto 8 defaulting back to "Open no application?"

I use iPhoto 8. I want it to open whenever I connect a camera. So, I go to Preferences; General; click on the drop-down menu for "Connecting Camera opens" and select "iPhoto." However, if I switch my laptop off, then the next time I switch it on, I find that it has defaulted back to "Connecting Camera opens No Application." This is driving me mad! Can anyone please help?!

iPhoto '08

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 6:37 AM

13 replies

Feb 2, 2013 8:08 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi. Thanks for the reply!

It's iPhoto 08. Yes, I've tried making the same choice in Image Capture and the same thing happens - it's fine until I switch the laptop off, Then next time I switch it on, it's gone back to "No application" same as it does on iPhoto preferences.

As long as the laptop is still on, I can quit iPhoto and then when I relaunch it, the "Connecting Camera Opens iPhoto" option is still selected. But if I switch off, back it goes to 'No application'! Sometiimes with these sort of things there is an 'Apply' button to press after you've made a selection in preferences. There isn't with this - I don't know if that's relevant, but either way, it's maddening as the photos don't import properly unless the 'open iPhoto' option is selected.

Cheers, Pete

Feb 2, 2013 8:14 AM in response to Pete Sinclair

A good general step for strange issues is to renew the iPhoto preference file - quit iPhoto and go to "your user name" ==> library ==> preferences ==> com.apple.iPhoto.plist and trash it - launch iPhoto which creates a fresh new default preference file and reset any personal preferences you have changed and if you have moved the iPhoto library repoint to it. This may help

This does not affect your photos or any database information (keywords, faces, places, ratings, etc) in any way - they are stored in the iPhoto library - the iPhoto preference file simply controls how iPhoto works - which is why renewing it is a good first step.

LN

Feb 2, 2013 10:52 AM in response to Pete Sinclair

Ok, so here's what happened...

I decided to back up all my photos anyway, as it's a while since I did it! I then deleted the iPhoto preference file as you described above and relaunched iPhoto.

To my alarm, it wouldn't load at all and told me that my iPhoto library was damaged. It was also giving other error and warning messages about iPhoto upgrades and compatitibility. You can imagine how glad I was that I'd done a back-up at this point!

Anyway, once I'd stopped panicking, I simply recovered the old iPhoto preference file from Trash and restored it to its location in the User Library Preferences folder (overwriting the new one that had been created). To my relief that worked and everything is now back to as it was.

So, no harm done, but of course I still have the same problem. Unless you or anyone else can suggest another fix, I will have to continue to what I do at the moment every time I want to import some photos... Launch iPhoto before I connect the camera, select the "When camera connects open iPhoto" option; quit iPhoto, then connect the camera. A pain - but it does allow me to import photos.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Pete

Feb 2, 2013 6:40 PM in response to Pete Sinclair

Move the iPhoto preference file again and this time launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and rebuild the library with the options checked in this screenshot:

User uploaded file

Also delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

User uploaded file

Launch iPhoto and check to see if the problem has been fixed.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

Feb 3, 2013 7:21 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad,

Didn't work I'm afraid. Launching iPhoto with the Option key held down didn't take me to a "Rebuild library" option like the one in the screen shot. It threw up messages telling me to choose a photo library or create a new one; then it would warn me that it was upgrading and that it would be incompatible with earlier versions of iPhoto; then it would tell me that the the photo library was damaged.

Anyway, once again, all I had to do was restore the two files from trash, and I'm back to where I was. I may just have to put up with the cumbersome process of going into preferences and changing it every time I want to download photos. It just seems so weird that it doesn't remember the preference that's ticked. I've never known that happen before.

Once again, thanks for your input.

Pete

How do I stop iPhoto 8 defaulting back to "Open no application?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.