Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash crashes iMac?

Hi, I have an early 2008 24 inch iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4G Ram,OSX 10.8.2. I read a lot in this forum regarding Flash crashes iMac. It happens to me recently when I watch CNN news video, my iMac would shutdown unexpectedly. I beleive that CNN video uses Flash plugin, that might be the issue, but what I don't understand is that I can watch Hulu movies for hours without any issues, doesn't Hulu uses Flash as well? Perhaps some web engineer at CNN uses Flash the wrong way?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Macbook Air iPhone 5

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 8:42 AM

7 replies

Feb 2, 2013 11:34 AM in response to KAKAMASA

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out these instructions.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Select the most recent panic log under System Diagnostic Reports. Post the entire contents — the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header and body of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.) Please don't post shutdownStall, spin, or hang reports.

Feb 3, 2013 10:56 AM in response to KAKAMASA

Hello, Thanks all for replying.

I think I jumped the gun on this one. It probably has nothing to do with either CNN or Flash.

I had suspected it was a thermal issue, so I downloaded and installed smcfancontrol, turned the cpu fan up a notch, it seems to help. I think it might be time to open up the iMac and give it an air shower! 🙂

Feb 25, 2013 11:06 AM in response to KAKAMASA

It's probably the Flash Plug-In. My computer started seeing first just the Flash plug-in crashing, but quite often the whole computer locks up while trying to play a Flash video, and restarts. This all started when I downloaded the upgrade to 11.6 on the plugin, in mid-Februrary.

It IS the Flash plug-in, though no one seems to want to acknowledge this.

Feb 25, 2013 7:30 PM in response to AndyMatt

Yea, I hate all these proprietary plugins as well, whether it's MS' garbage Silverlight, or Flash, they are all junks. Neither Silverlight nor Flash has a good rep with the Safari. Only in this perticular case, I don't think it is Flash causes the problem and just want to be fair.

I don't understand with html5, why many of the websites still stick with the stone age plugins? Are they getting paid by MS or Adobe to use their trash?

Feb 26, 2013 2:27 AM in response to KAKAMASA

Most aren't getting paid at all. And if they aren't getting paid, they won't take the training to teach themselves HTML5. They work with what they are familiar with and that's the problem. Sadly, until HTML5 is standard teaching in all schools, which take time to change, that will also slow down adoption. From what I read online while Microsoft is slowly divorcing itself from Silverlight, it has at least 8 years of life left in it. And Adobe has said it would stop mobile Flash development: http://www.techspot.com/news/46192-adobe-stops-mobile-flash-development-will-foc us-on-html5.html so who knows how soon the rest of the industry will catch on. Some companies still can't upgrade to Windows 7 because of dependencies on drivers that only existed in XP. And because Microsoft HTML5 development only really works on Windows 7 or later, that type of thing is going to hold many back.

Flash crashes iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.