Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use G5 Tower as a Firewire Hard Drive Bay?

I have an old G5 Tower that developed that leaking coolant problem - I stopped using it and it's been sitting around for a while.

Recently, I booted it via Firewire in Target mode and I can access the Hard drive, but after a few minutes the fan kicked in big time.

Anybody know if it is possible to disconnect the fan and just use the Tower and as a big Hard Drive enclosure???

If it is possible then ....

1. How do I disconnect it?

2. Will it over-heat. I was thinking of putting 3 x old hard drives in it?

3. Would it be grossly in-effecient from an energy point of view?

Many thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 8:25 AM

4 replies

Feb 2, 2013 8:59 PM in response to PROBO

Anybody know if it is possible to disconnect the fan and just use the Tower and as a big Hard Drive enclosure???

You can't do that while the drives are connected to the logic board. Though the requirements are minimal. the processors are still fuctioning, thus the fan activity.

Disconnect the fans and you will have a box full of fried components.

Add to that the continued leakage of the LCS ands you also have a fire hazard.

Gut the G5, scavange some hard drive enclosure control boards and power supplies (or one ATX PSU), fabricate the needed racks and connectors, and, Yes, the tower could be a large hard drive case.

Use G5 Tower as a Firewire Hard Drive Bay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.