Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iCould to bypass encrypted backups

Well, my iPhone backup is encrypted and I have tried and tried but there is no guessing which password it can possibly be. I have all the information still on my phone so I was wondering: If I create a backup to iCloud, delete all of my current itunes backups and restore the phone to original, will I then be able to restore to the iCloud backup, or will I still be blocked with the encryption password? I could care less about everything except for text messages.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 9:53 AM

6 replies

Mar 2, 2014 4:53 AM in response to NASATimp

I had the same problem and was able to solve it. Here is my problem and solution https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5943105

Essentially even though your phone will not create any new un encryped backups (as the encryption password settings carry over to the phone not to itunes), I got a second ios device (an ipod touch) and put that on the same itunes and icloud account, then it pulled everything from the cloud onto it , wiped my phone clean, then synced to the cloud again and everything went back onto the phone. See all the details in my forum thread.

Using iCould to bypass encrypted backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.