Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i download a kindle library book to my ipad with usb?

iMac

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 10:29 AM

14 replies

Jul 11, 2013 3:06 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have a Kindle App on my iPad and iPhone. I have been successful borrowing books from the public library and buying books wirelessly to 'My Kindle' account on Amazon. Lately, I have been getting this message on some books while in the process of borrowing or buying the books. Doing some research, it seems one can download wirelessly only to a Kindle and not to a Kindle App. Anyone know of a work-around? Books are more expensive to buy on iTunes than Amazon in most cases.

"Due to publisher restrictions, this book in the Kindle format cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB."

Jul 11, 2013 4:28 PM in response to michael0master

I have the Kindle App on my Apple devices. When attempting to borrow a book from the library, this is the message I got. This only happens with some books, not all, so I am assuming some publishers have made this decision.

"Due to publisher restrictions, this book cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB. You currently have no devices registered that support transferring via USB."

I have all my devices registered and usually the Kindle edition is WIRELESSLY downloaded, but this is a new issue to me. These books apparently can ONLY be downloaded by USB but to ONLY a Kindle, not a Kindle App on Apple devices.

I am looking for a way around this issue, if there is one. I connected my iPad to my computer, downloaded the book, but got the above message. Apparently the iPad does not suport transferring via USB. If there are steps to take, I would appreciate knowing what I am not doing.

Thanks.

Jul 11, 2013 5:37 PM in response to Peggy Guelle

To transfer purchased books from Kindle to any iDevice you need to do the following:

Download Kindle for PC-http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/pc/download

Download Kindle for Mac- http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/mac/download

Follow the steps to install it

Step 1. Use your account to sign in, and download all the content you previously purchased.

Step 2. Go to this website http://www.zamzar.com/

Step 3. Locate the folder "My Kindle Content" under the "Documents" folder.

Step 4. Select the Book you wish to transfer. (Make sure it has a blue icon on the side, or a termination with .azw)

Step 5. Enter your e-mail. (To get the books)

Step 6. Convert.

Now you have two options:

Option 1: Open your email from your device. Locate the email from the page Zamzar, and open the attachment. It will automatically transfer it to your iBook library.

Option 2: Download the file to your computer, and transfer it to the device using itunes. (Drag the file into the device)

Jul 12, 2013 6:23 AM in response to michael0master

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I don't need help reading or syncing books already downloaded in the Kindle App. I have been very successful WIRELESSLY downloading and syncing hundreds of books from the public library and Amazon, reading them from my iPhone and two iPads using Manage My Kindle on Amazon. But now some publishers are not allowing that, one can only download using USB. THAT is the issue. Here is the message one gets when choosing to borrow or buy a book from these publishers. Apparently the Kindle Device has that ability but Apple devices do not. I can't get these books INTO the Kindle app..... Maybe I am missing something, but don't all your suggestions assume the books have already been downloaded into the Kindle App? I can't get them into the Kindle App, that is my issue.

"Due to publisher restrictions, this book cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB. You currently have no devices registered that support transferring via USB."

Jul 14, 2013 6:18 AM in response to michael0master

Thank you again. I apologize for using CAPS. Have you attempted to download a library book to your Kindle App on your computer that cannot be delivered wirelessly due to publishers' restrictions? I have three choices:

User uploaded file

When I choose Kindle Book, this is the message I get:

User uploaded file

So I think some books can only be transferred to a Kindle device, not the Kindle App. I have used the download button, the book does not download, to my USB connected iPad nor the Kindle App on my computer.

Thank you for hanging with me on this, I appreciate your advice. I'm sure your suggestions would work if I could just get the book downloaded from the library.

Jul 14, 2013 6:44 AM in response to michael0master

After doing some searching on the library site I found this:

"Due to publisher restrictions, some titles may not be wirelessly delivered and require USB transfer from your computer to your device. These restricted titles also may not be accessed on Kindle reading applications."

So, guess I am going to have to buy a Kindle to be able to read all books from the library. I have already had a Kindle, gave it away because my iPads served my purpose better. Oh, well....

Thanks again....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.