Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my system running slow and or locking up?

I have an imac all in one desktop, w/version 10.8.2 software updated. I am having issues now while on the internet, the web browser locks up or sits there and spins. It is now locking up my yahoo messenger and other apps I may have open. It has been cleaned w/clean my mac and tune up my mac. Cleaned it all and made it have even more room. I use google chrome as my default. I have had to try safari a few times because this chrome one doesn't support a lot of sites. It is also updated and the safari will cause it to lock up real fast. You can hear it like making noise inside the computer, like its spinning its wheels but not going anywhere. Can someone please help me out here on what to do?

Thanks..... 😕

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 10:45 AM

3 replies

Feb 2, 2013 10:59 AM in response to Kquig

Junk such as CleanMyMac and whatever "tune up" programs you used cannot possibly help and may even have caused this problem to begin with.

Back up your data if you have not already done so. Boot OS X Recovery and use Disk Utility to repair your startup volume. The noises you hear may be those of impending hard disk drive failure. The drive can be replaced, if necessary.

http://www.tuneupmymac.com

Benefits

Clean your Mac in single click

Free up space on your hard drive

Speed up your Mac by removing junk files

Delete sensitive and confidential data securely

Optimize your hard drive and make your Mac more stable

For future reference such are typical snake-oil salesman claims for something you must avoid.

Feb 2, 2013 11:16 AM in response to John Galt

Contrast the above claims with what this blatant piece of junkware actually promises:

3. No Performance Warranty. †TuneupMyMac specifically disclaims any representation or warranty for the amount of performance increase or utility provided by TMM.† TMM will not necessarily increase performance or provide a utility benefit on your computer, and TuneupMyMac makes no claim of specific deficiency, defect, or underperformance with respect to your computer.† Any claims of performance increases or utility made for TMM are those of possible or potential improvement or utility, and no representation or warranty is offered that a specific utility or amount of performance increase, if any, will be realized on any particular computer.†† Each computer is different and the scenarios under which they are used are different, and no claim is made that any one computer or usage scenario shall result in any performance increase or utility benefit from TMM.†

ALTHOUGH NOT INTENDED, AS WITH ALL COMPUTER SOFTWARE, IT IS POSSIBLE A DEFECT COULD CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER TO FUNCTION IMPROPERLY. YOU BEAR THE RISK OF USING TMM. TuneupMyMac GIVES NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS.

BACKUP RESPONSIBILITY. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is a system utility, and as such can make irreversible changes to the state of computer on which it is run and that TuneupMyMac cannot accurately predict or ensure the outcome in all possible scenarios, and therefore purchaser agrees to make and test a complete system backup and backup of all personal information before operating the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You agree that you accept all responsibility for reversing or correcting any changes made by the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

TuneupMyMac AND ITS AGENTS, OFFICERS, AND SUPPLIERS PROVIDE THE SOFTWARE AND SUPPORT SERVICES (IF ANY) AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS, AND HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EITHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY (IF ANY) IMPLIED WARRANTIES, DUTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OF ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OR RESPONSES, OF RESULTS, OF WORKMANLIKE EFFORT, OF LACK OF VIRUSES AND OF LACK OF NEGLIGENCE, OF FAILURE TO PREVENT VIRUSES OR TROJANS, OF FAILURE TO PREVENT UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS OR USE ALL WITH REGARD TO THE SOFTWARE,

Summary: The product disavows any claim of any benefit of any description by any stretch of the imagination whatsoever, places responsibility solely on you for the damage it may cause, and promises only to return your purchase price ($0) if you write to them at their address in Jaipur, India, within thirty days of purchase.

You agreed to these Terms prior to installing their product. Really?

Why is my system running slow and or locking up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.