Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling Mac OS X On to white Macbook (Broken Optical Drive) (no hard drive to clone from)

I have (I Belive it's) a Late 2006 ot 2008 White Macbook. My Hardrive recently crash and i couldnt format it so i got a new Wester digital Internal Hard Drive, After putting in the hard drive i found out that i have to install Mac OS X To it. I have the Mac OS X Install Disk 1 and 2 but i do not have a working Optical Drive... I Do have a fire Wire and an iMac with a working optical drive. I Read some where online that i can use the iMac's Optical drive via the Firewire but i need assistance on that...

I read online that i need to boot the Macbook while holding T, Which i did

And boot the iMac holding C. But when i do that the iMac screen stays white, some one please help me...

MacBook, Other OS

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 3:45 PM

20 replies

Feb 2, 2013 5:08 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

I did everything you said. How do i install it? i try putting in the CD and it restarts the iMac and then the screen stays white. i even tried doing it with mountain lion.app but i have no idea what login was used, i believe it was my brothers login and asking him is out of the picture.

what do i need to install into the MB? i see it as a hardrive with the Firewire symbol on it on my desk top... what steps do i need to take from there?

Feb 2, 2013 5:18 PM in response to Demetrius2292

The MB is the target - you do nothing with it.

When the iMac is up and running you put the OS CD in the iMac, when it mounts you double click on the CD icon, find the installer in the CD contents, and double click on that.

When the installer is up and running it will select a drive. You must make sure it selects the MB's drive - the target drive.

Feb 2, 2013 6:05 PM in response to Demetrius2292

Suggest you first verify what OS the MB can take. There is no point going to a lot of trouble trying to install something that wont go there. If you try to boot from a hard drive with an incompatible OS on it - which you could manage to install in target disk mode - the MB will simply refuse to boot.

So you need to get an appropriate version retail OS CD/DVD. Apple is selling OS 10.6 DVDs for $20. Verify your iMac is the correct vintage that you can open that DVD on it.

When you are installing an OS, to any drive including a target disk, the OS installer looks at the computer that it is sitting in. To all intents and purposes the target disk is part of your iMac. And if you ask the iMac to run an installer of an incompatible OS, it just won't do it.

Partitioning will not solve the problem, if my hunch is correct that the iMac cannot take the CD you have. Actually partitioning will not solve anything. The problem is with the installer CD and the iMac.

By the way, what OS is on the iMac now?

Reinstalling Mac OS X On to white Macbook (Broken Optical Drive) (no hard drive to clone from)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.