Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merge two itunes library.itl files?

I replaced my 6-y-o MacBook one year ago. I still have the iTunes Library.itl file (and the .xml file) from the old MacBook. It did not occur to me then, to import that library to the new library so that my new iTunes would retain the old library info. So, I started anew with the new laptop, everything was zero play counts, no customizations, etc. Of course over the last year I have listened and racked up play counts, made some customizations, etc.

A year later, I wonder if I can somehow merge the iTunes Library.itl (or .xml?) from my old laptop with the current file? I don't want to lose any of the new play counts/customizations/songs I've added to the library since, but would like iTunes to merge the new with the old library. Can I somehow get the newer .itl library file to include/incorporate the data from the old file, without messing up/losing the new data? ie. I don't want to "go back" to a year ago, I'd like to have the data from a year ago added to the new file, if possible.

I'm not expecting this to be possible, but figured I would ask anyway.

Thanks for any responses.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 1:26 AM

Hi,

I do not think this is possible.

In hindsight you should have used migration assistant to transfer all iTunes folder info etc.

Jim

1 reply

merge two itunes library.itl files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.