Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Mac OSX via Internet recovery onto my new SSD

I just installed an SSD in my Macbook Pro 2012 (non Retina), but when i try to reinstall Mac OSX 10.7 via Internet recovery it doesn't recognize the new Drive (it does appear in disk utility when connected to another mac externally.) Please Help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 5:08 PM

10 replies

Feb 2, 2013 5:37 PM in response to Dominik Scheer

reinstall Mac OSX 10.7 via Internet recovery

The only folks who can get a free copy of Mac OS X 10.7 via Internet recovey are those who bought it previously. If you removed your old drive, and its Recovery_HD with your Apple_ID in it, how do you expect Apple to know who is asking for this download?

There are more reliable ways to do what you want to do.

Is you old drive still operable?

Do you have an external enclosure or another drive over 20GB?

Do you have another Mac?

Do you have a spare USB stick?

Feb 2, 2013 5:54 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

You're right, but when i put in a standard HDD it also recognizes it and lets me install OSX because my mac was shipped with OSX Lion, and i guess that Apple expects that at some point you will install a comletely new harddrive. The only possibility i can think of is that Apple checks the serial number of your mac an then lets you download your new copy of the OS. So theoretically i could install the OS on any drive connected to the Mac.

.... also no, my old drive is not operable anymore. But i have an external enclousure, another mac and a spare usb stick.

Feb 2, 2013 5:55 PM in response to Dominik Scheer

The above post is comepletely wrong.

Your MBP 2012 model can use Internet recovery and you can install Lion on that system without problems.

But you first must use Disk Utility to partition and format the drive Mac Extended (Journaled) with a Partition Table of GUID. If you don't do that first then the OS X install routine will not see the drive. OS X does not see RAW (NON-Partitioned and formatted) drives.

Also you must use the Online Internet Recovery system. Not sure if that is what you are using.

Feb 2, 2013 6:20 PM in response to Dominik Scheer

No you don't need to hook it up to another Mac. Install the drive in your MBP. Boot the system holding down the Command+r keys, and or the Command+Option+r keys, until you see a Spinning Globe in the center of the screen. That will boot the system from over the internet. Once that loads, that is the Apple Online Internet Recovery system, you select Disk Utility and partition and format the drive. Then once that is done exit DU and select Reinstall Mac OS X.

Dominik Scheer wrote:

So basically i just have to hook it up to another mac with a external enclosoure, partition, and format it. But the thing is, I already formatted it to Mac Extended (Journaled). Was there something i possibly could have done wrong the last time?

Can't install Mac OSX via Internet recovery onto my new SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.