Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge two iTunes libraries fails due to ADD TO LIBRARY...

I want to merge my laptop iTunes library back into my desktop itunes library (both machines are Macs running OS X 10.7.5 with iTunes 11.0.1).

However on the desktop, the iTunes "Add to Library..." command does nothing when I select the XML file on the laptop to which I exported my laptop library!

(The laptop drive is shared, and I access it over the network.)

Anyone know how to resolve this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iMac (27 inch)

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 8:41 PM

12 replies

Feb 3, 2013 12:03 AM in response to strathglass

You need to select the itunes media folder not the xml file. That does not contain your content. This method will import your laptop library to the itunes on your desktop.

Of you want your playlists structure then you will need to export them from your laptop itunes and reimport them into the desktop.

An alternate way would be home sharing if the computers are on the same wifi network

Feb 3, 2013 7:43 AM in response to Steve Taylor1

THat's not going to work because it won't have any track info like star rating etc: that other info is kept in the itunes library files - the xml file (and also the itl file).

I've seen a couple other guides indicating you import the XML file, but in my case nothing happens when I do this.

I need a way to merge in that other (laptop) iTunes library INCLUDING the ratings etc.

Feb 3, 2013 8:48 AM in response to Chris CA

Well, if I do that how do the XML pathnames get addressed?

I mean I will have copied over the library by adding the media first: the files get copied to my local (desktop) library from my laptop library.

But if I then import the XML, it has paths for the laptop, not the target desktop, like this line:

file://localhost/Users/strathglass/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Music/Annie%20Has lam/ ... .mp3

That path doesn't match what is used on the desktop, so it won't mean anything to the library!!!

I am thinking maybe I should try a product like powertunes?

Unless someone else wants to suggest a workable manual procedure!

Feb 3, 2013 4:42 PM in response to Chris CA

Here's why this won't work:

• on importing the other (laptop) music files, the desktop iTunes will copy to its local library (because it is configured to do this)
  • so if I next import the XML after adding the files, since the XML doesn't reference these new, copied files it won't do anything

The result is I have new content in the library but the metadata is not added (no ratings etc) - i.e. this won't work.

Even if the desktop iTunes wasn't configured to copy new songs to the standard place, if I then import an XML after adding files, that XML references files at a location that is only correct on the laptop, not the correct address for the file as seen by the desktop. This doesn't work either.

Still looking for ideas to solve this, if it is possible.

Feb 3, 2013 5:22 PM in response to Chris CA

No, and I've presented a strong logical case for why it won't work, so I see no reason to even try.

Now if you could rationalize why this WOULD work, maybe you could convince me I am wrong.

I'm open to being convinced by a suitable explanation, but right now you've only provided the procedure with no explanation of why this should even work.

(Because of the hassles involved with two large [nearly identical] libraries, I don't want to try it without some degree of confidence that it will succeed.)

Feb 3, 2013 5:39 PM in response to strathglass

It'll work because iTunes will match up the song in your library with the song in the XML as it always has.

I suggested trying it with a small playlist (just use a dozen songs)so you don't need to worry about the entire library.

Export the .xml for this playlist, add the songs then import this .xml

Also, since the libraries are nearly identical, you don't want to add everything anyway.

You only want to add what is not in the library.

Create a playlist with these items and export the .xml only for this playlist.

Either way, good luck!

Feb 5, 2013 4:47 PM in response to Chris CA

OK, finally had a chance to try this: just used a playlist (all I really need are the new songs, and I made a smart playlist based on date added to get these songs [copied those to a manual playlist that I then exported]).

Procedure:

1. exported playlist on laptop to XML file on laptop
  2. copied songs in playlist within iTunes (view playlist, select all, right click and select copy)
  3. then in Finder pasted the copied playlist songs to a new folder on laptop
  4. on desktop did a Add to Library to add songs over network from playlist folder on laptop (from prior step)
  5. on desktop did a Library->Import Playlist and imported playlist XML file from step 1 (over network)

(One observation: some of the songs were purchased from iTunes: at first I didn't realize why all the songs didn't get imported into desktop library in step 4; then I realized they were already there on the desktop because they were purchased and the desktop and laptop have the same iTunes account ... so a purchase on laptop automagically appears in the desktop library!)

RESULT:

Sure, the playlist got created OK, but key metadata seems to have NOT been copied over, e.g. all my star ratings except for two songs were not copied over.

Example: one song had a 4 star rating and sure enough an XML entry "Rating80"

...but it came out in the desktop library with NO start rating.

Time for some manual updates ... and a better procedure! 🙂

Merge two iTunes libraries fails due to ADD TO LIBRARY...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.