9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 11:02 PM by danois
Roman Che Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi all !

I have the problem... I use MainStage and all ok, exept one - i can't play MIDI file inside MainStage. Playback plug-in can play sound files only.
How can i workaround that  ? Of course i have Logic, but starting 2 apps in same time - is a not good idea for live performance..

 

I need send that MIDI to Synth plug-in and change parameters on the fly (for example "Cut", or "FM depth") while it playng...

Playback plug-in is good but i can't change anything on it... Just volume.

 

What the way for playing MIDI file on MainStage ?

Thanks for possible help..


MainStage, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • CCTM Level 6 Level 6 (10,030 points)

    Hi

     

    Mainstage 2.2 does have *very limited* MIDI file player capabilities: but they are not going to help you much. You can set up a MS Patch to transmit a MIDI file to an external device on a Patch Change, but youu cannot control Start/Stop etc (the file simply buffers and plays through to the end). The only way to stop the file mid stream is to quit MS!

     

    If you want to send MIDI data to a Synth plugin, you would have to run the plug outside Mainstage (possibly using the IAC bus to route the MIDI data).

     

    Frankly, I'd find another way of achieving the result you want.

     

     

    CCT

  • Roman Che Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    CCTM wrote:

     

    Hi

     

    Mainstage 2.2 does have *very limited* MIDI file player capabilities: but they are not going to help you much. You can set up a MS Patch to transmit a MIDI file to an external device on a Patch Change, but youu cannot control Start/Stop etc (the file simply buffers and plays through to the end). The only way to stop the file mid stream is to quit MS!

     

    If you want to send MIDI data to a Synth plugin, you would have to run the plug outside Mainstage (possibly using the IAC bus to route the MIDI data).

     

    Frankly, I'd find another way of achieving the result you want.

     

     

    CCT

     

    CCTM

     

    Thanks for answer !!

     

    "The only way to stop the file mid stream is to quit MS!" - .. i'm afraid this is are not useful for live performance... For example i want use MIDI sequence for Bass, and Drums - but every time when i need stop - i must close MS.. omg :/

     

    Is really strange - why Apple can't add MIDI playback plug-in to MS, like Audio playback.. This would be Really simplifier and not memory-greedy feature, but we can play MIDI file and use it as MS internal sequencer... Why not ?! It's really strange. I try to find good AU sequencer (i don't mean JUST sequencer - i mean sequencer that can handle note lenght, or saved PithBend data and send it trought IAC to AU synths) - and can't find nothing... Ok. I will continue searching..

     

    CCTM very big thanks for help!

  • CCTM Level 6 Level 6 (10,030 points)

    Roman Che wrote:

    "The only way to stop the file mid stream is to quit MS!" - .. i'm afraid this is are not useful for live performance... For example i want use MIDI sequence for Bass, and Drums - but every time when i need stop - i must close MS.. omg :/

     

    Yep!

     

    Roman Che wrote:

     

    I try to find good AU sequencer (i don't mean JUST sequencer - i mean sequencer that can handle note lenght, or saved PithBend data and send it trought IAC to AU synths) - and can't find nothing... Ok. I will continue searching..

    It would probably be easiest/quickest just to use Logic for this (or Ableton etc).

     

     

    CCT

  • Roman Che Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    CCTM wrote:

     

    It would probably be easiest/quickest just to use Logic for this (or Ableton etc).

    Good sounding, of course Logic have all needed power for that..
    But somebody use Logic for live performanse ? Of course - just as sequencer with IAC connection to MainStage ? Really interesting.. I always thought that Logic is only for studio. I was wrong ? It possible use Logic on Live ?

     

    p.s. (Ableton prices slightly confuse me)

  • CCTM Level 6 Level 6 (10,030 points)

    Roman Che wrote:

     

     

    But somebody use Logic for live performanse ? Of course - just as sequencer with IAC connection to MainStage ?

    Before Mainstage was released, many used Logic for live performance.

    You could use Logic-IAC-Mainstage, but it would probably be easier to do all that you need within Logic.

     

     

    CCT

  • Roman Che Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    CCTM wrote:


    Before Mainstage was released, many used Logic for live performance.

    Nice. But (of course this is just discussion question) - why Logic is not used for live like Ableton ? Stability problems ?

     

     

    CCTM wrote:

     

    You could use Logic-IAC-Mainstage, but it would probably be easier to do all that you need within Logic.

    Thanks for hint. But i work with MainStage not for myself I create scenes for professional keyboardist. We play together. And we both agree - MainStage has a Great tools for ... UI building, interface, feedback. All very useful. Patch programming is really fast, and i say more - it's really interesting. Then you can just open Cmd+4 and play. All what you need - on UI.

     

    I really like it. Thanks, i will try to use both - Logic + MS. I thinks is not good idea - start 2 linked apps in same time.. But may be it would be a stable tandem.

  • danois Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Roman, have you had any luck/stability using LP + MS via IAC?? I was waiting for MS3 to come out and to my huge disappointment, no MIDI player. OUCH!!

  • erikbojerik Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I was also disappointed that MS3 did not address MIDI playback - as CCTM knows.  I suspect it comes down to the fact that MS has no kind of timeline coded in like Logic does.  MS is designed for live use, and truly live musicians create their own timeline, but increasingly many are locking themselves down to a MIDI click track with song markers, and so it would make sense for MS to keep up with developments like these. 

     

    I would really like this functionality so that I can use sequenced Program Change messages to change my guitar effects as I play along with backing tracks in MS.

     

    For my part I've been looking into AU sequencers that I could load up as a plugin in MS.  So far Numerology (by Five12) and Thesys (by Sugar Bytes) look like strong contenders, but they are not cheap.  MIDIPatterns is only $12 at the App Store but it neither sends nor receives Program Change messages, does only very limited CC messaging, and the dev has not updated since early 2012.  Still looking for the right solution at the right cost.

  • danois Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    erikbojerik,

     

    You and I are asking for "production value" not further sound enhancements. I, and I suspect many others, would like to concentrate and give full energy to producing live entertainment, without worrying about 'directing'. Automation in MS is a must. And whether it is through choreographed DMX lighting, or automated MIDI guitar patches, the result is professional live performance without the "paid hands". Isn't that what MS is all about?

     

    As far as "timeline" is concerned, samples can stay where they are needed in the studio, but as Playback lets you do, as I understand, insert markers which represent real time. So isn't that already a timeline? Adding another 'MIDI' player would easily do what we are requesting...

     

    Yes, the other options you suggest are far too burdensome and third party for me is almost out of the question as far as reliability is concerned. Can you say "single point of failure"?

     

    Regretfully I will be staying with LP for my live performance until MS evolves.