Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD not recognized

Hi,

I just installed the MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.6 on my 13'' Early 2011 MacBook Pro and now it doesn't recognize my SSD. The SSD is a Crucial m4 256Gb and worked perfectly up to the update. I have put in my old HD (which is a clone and I use as a backup) and have tried conecting the SSD via USB with a SATA/USB adaptor, but no luck.

Is there a way to revert to the previous firmware (1.5, I presume)? Or any other ideas to try to get the MacBook to recognize the drive? Unfortunately I don't have any other computer so I have no way to test the drive (in case the update actually killed it).

Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 10:31 PM

2 replies

Feb 2, 2013 10:36 PM in response to nosolomac

As I've a 15" late 2011 model, I didn't find that SMC firmware update in my updates, as it's only applicable to the 13" 2011 models... I have no idea why the firmware update would cause your m4 Crucial to suddenly fail. Do you recall which m4 firmware you last upgraded to? The current version is 040H, so updating the m4 firmware MIGHT help - I don't know - sounds as if the new Apple firmware is the more likely culprit and, no, I don't know how to downgrade (maybe someone will come along who will).

Maybe try this - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1474? I simply don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try, I supose.

Clinton

Feb 3, 2013 4:19 PM in response to nosolomac

I have the same Macbook pro early 2011 with the M4 crucial SSD. It happened to me once (months ago, before the SMC update) to have the same problem : my drive being unregognized by the MBP. It seems it is consecutive to a power loss, and not specifically to the firmware update.

The solution is given by crucial in their support pages, you have to perform a power cycle :

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot -disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

You could try, I hope this could help you.

Eric.

SSD not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.