Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install first original DVD's driver (10.6) or directly OS X Mountain Lion from USB

Hello Apple-Team,

My english is not so well, i hope you will understand me.

i bought a 128 gb ssd for my mbp 15 mid 2009, put it in the first slot, the old 500gb HDD in the second one.

Now how i install the OS on the mbp clear?

First the original DVD's drivers from the box and then update to Mountain Lion, or directly a kopie from the Mountain Lion OS from USB-Stick?

Has it the same effect?!

thanks,

Michael

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 11:14 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

As you have a USB drive with OS X Mountain Lion, you can skip the Leopard installation and all that mess, and install Mountain Lion directly.

To do it, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Mountain Lion USB drive, turn on your Mac, hold the Option key while your Mac is starting and choose the USB drive.

2. Open Disk Utility, choose the SSD on the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the disk. Make sure that you erase it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

3. Close Disk Utility and install OS X

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2013 11:14 PM in response to THMichael

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

As you have a USB drive with OS X Mountain Lion, you can skip the Leopard installation and all that mess, and install Mountain Lion directly.

To do it, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Mountain Lion USB drive, turn on your Mac, hold the Option key while your Mac is starting and choose the USB drive.

2. Open Disk Utility, choose the SSD on the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the disk. Make sure that you erase it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

3. Close Disk Utility and install OS X

Install first original DVD's driver (10.6) or directly OS X Mountain Lion from USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.