Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network user can't edit/save files in workgroup folder

Suddenly I can't edit/save files in my workgroup folder on OS X Server (but I can copy, delete, duplicate files) ...

I use a Mac Mini Server (2011) running OS X Server 10.8.2 and OpenDirectory with network users defined. File operations were fine for the network users (creating, copying, deleting, editing files in a joint workgroup folder on the server) from my MacBook Pro (10.8.2) but suddenly I can't edit/save files any longer to the workgroup shared folder. This changed from one document to another, without logout or reboot. I also tried different applications (Preview and PDFPen) or a new workgroup folder with the same result.

The error message I get in a pop-up:

"The document xxx.yyy could not be saved. You don't have permission."

However, I can still copy, duplicate and delete files from the same MacBook Pro.

The log file says :

03/02/2013 13:34:16.212 NetAuthSysAgent[588]: NAHSelectionAcquireCredential The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.NetworkAuthenticationHelper error -1765328228 - acquire_kerberos failed testuser8@LOCAL: -1765328228 - unable to reach any KDC in realm LOCAL)

When I try to do the same from a Mac Pro (10.7.5) I have no problem. I have tried it with several accounts including a newly defined user. Results on both clients are still the same.

The only message I did discover related to authentication is the following (but it also appeared before things went wrong):

03/02/2013 08:26:33.905 kdc[48]: WARNING Found KDC certificate (O=System Identity,CN=com.apple.kerberos.kdc)is missing the PK-INIT KDC EKU, this is bad for interoperability.

What can I do. I considered restoring my MacBook Pro from a Time Machine backup but as long as I don't know whether it is server or client related I'm hesitant to do so.

Thanks for the help,

Erik

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), (Server)

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 5:10 AM

1 reply

Network user can't edit/save files in workgroup folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.