Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete all ALERTS in iCal at once?

Over the years I have added repeating Events with Alerts to iCal on various devices (some of them passed on to my relatives). As a result I get plenty of Alert emails or sounds. I find it onerous to go through all repeating events to delete the alert. Hence my question: how to delete all Alerts at once?

Thanks for any suggestions/pointers/ideas. Cheers, Veit

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), iPhone 4S with iOS6

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 5:32 AM

10 replies

Nov 30, 2013 1:06 AM in response to Dale Sorel

Hi Dale,

Something like below. If you have default alarms set in preferences in iCal (or Calendar.app) then these will be re-added and you should turn them off in the applications preferences if you do not need them. The script will also not affect subscribed calendars or events you can not edit manually.

The effect is permanent and I would strongly suggest you backup your calendars before running the script below.

John M

-- John Maisey -- www.nhoj.co.uk -- 30 Nov 2013 --
-- Removing all alarms from your editable calendars --
-- This process may take some time to run and is permanent. --
tell application "iCal"
  activate
  delay 0.5
   display alert "Removing all alarms from your editable calendars" message "This process may take some time and is permanent. Are you sure you want to do this?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} cancel button 2
      repeat with myCalendar in (calendars whose writable is true)
         repeat with myEvent in events of myCalendar
           delete display alarms of myEvent
           delete mail alarms of myEvent
           delete sound alarms of myEvent
           delete open file alarms of myEvent
          end repeat
       end repeat
  display alert "Removing all alarms from your editable calendars" message "This process is complete." buttons {"OK"} default button 1
end tell

Mar 11, 2014 3:15 PM in response to John Maisey

Hi John,

Thanks so much for your help with this problem. I am trying to remove alerts for a couple of specific shared calendars (which I can edit) but am having some difficulty due to my inexperience with applescript! I am also not sure where else to go for help solving this problem.

My plan is to run your script a couple of times specifying one calendar at a time by name.

This is the modification I made to your script:

tell application "Calendar"

activate

delay 0.5

display alert "Removing all alarms from your editable calendars" message "This process may take some time and is permanent. Are you sure you want to do this?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} cancel button 2

set calname to "Consultant_on_call"

--- repeat with myCalendar in (calendars whose writable is true)

repeat with myCalendar in (calendars whose name is calname)

repeat with myEvent in events of myCalendar

deletedisplay alarms of myEvent

deletemail alarms of myEvent

deletesound alarms of myEvent

deleteopen file alarms of myEvent

end repeat

end repeat

display alert "Removing all alarms from your editable calendars" message "This process is complete." buttons {"OK"} default button 1

end tell

Are you able to tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks again.

Andrew

Nov 7, 2014 6:20 PM in response to Andrew Bucknill

Another way to do this may be to export the calendar from ical to a .ics file. (Make a duplicate of the .ics as a backup before proceeding to the next step). Open the .ics file in text edit and do a find and replace to change the settings of the events.

You can then delete the original calendar from ical and re-import the modified .ics file.

how to delete all ALERTS in iCal at once?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.