7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 3:03 PM by WZZZ
eljoshy0 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Are permissions specific to hardware or software? I ask this because I was wondering if I plugged my mac HD into my pc could I access the mac files even though they have "everybody" set to "no access"? I basically changed the permissions on my mac for eveyone to no access and now the machine wont boot. It won't even let me on safe mode. Any help is appreciated

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: Permissions
    WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (12,220 points)

Did you check Apply to enclosed? If so, the only fix is to reinstall. That would have screwed up every single system file on your Mac.

See if it will boot into single user mode, Cmd-S at the startup chime. At the prompt enter each of these separately, followed by hitting return. 

mount -uw /

chmod 755 /System

chmod 1775 /Library

chmod 1777 /Users/Shared

reboot

• 2. Re: Permissions

Yes, I did. How would I be able to reinstall without the disk? Would I need to buy a new one? I can get into single user mode and entered those, but it still doesn't boot

• 3. Re: Permissions
    Niel Level 10 Level 10 (241,895 points)

You need to order replacement original disks, or if your computer shipped with Mac OS X 10.6.2 or earlier, a retail Mac OS X 10.6.3 DVD, and then use the Disk Utility on it to run repair permissions.

(75940)

• 4. Re: Permissions

Is there a way to back up everything to stop myself from losing it? Considering I don't have access to the files

• 5. Re: Permissions

Reinstalling will preserve all Apple applications, settings, users, and third party applications. But good idea to have a backup, which, if you don't, is too late to make now. But If you have a bootable clone as a backup, you could just reverse clone back to the internal from that. To restore the OS from Time Machine, you'll still need the install DVD. TM won't help now.

• 6. Re: Permissions

I got the install dvd but cant boot into it

• 7. Re: Permissions

How are you trying to do that? You need to insert the disc then restart holding the C key.