Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not being able to arrow back to the previous pages

I have a Mac OSX 10.8.2. I am not a computer geek, so bare with me. When I want to do a search for something, I click the Safari icon for my home page,

I type in a search topic in the box, then a page comes up with my search results. After opening a topic in my search results and I am done reading it, most generally I cannot go to the two arrows in the upper left hand corner of my screen and arrow back to the page that has my search results, the arrow isn't highlighted. The only thing I can do then is click on the X in the upper left hand corner, which eliminates everything and I have to start all over again from the beginning. When I am searching for something, unless I use the same wording as I did in the previous search, it usually comes up with different items on the search results page. Remembering the exact wording I used previously is a challenge, sometimes at my age. Also, with this arrow not highlighting, if I go into one of the items in the search results page and it gives me some links, (I guess that is the correct terminalology), to click on that may answer my questions, I can't back out of the one link to click on another one, because of the arrow is not being highlighted.

Is there a setting in the computer that I can change so the arrow with highlight every time? This doesn't happen in all cases, but it does in most. I really get aggrevated having to retype search topics over and over again.

Thanks for the help and please keep the answer simple, like I say, I am not a computer geek.

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 7:19 AM

4 replies

Feb 3, 2013 7:26 AM in response to cruiservtx

Not sure if this helps but you can search from the http bar, to go back, drag your finger sideways across the magic mouse or two fingers on the track pad.

An example

Let's say you have a tab open on the page www.macs_are_cool.com. Click on the address window (where you see www.macs_are_cool.com) and it should highlight everything. Now type "I love big hats" and hit return. You should see the search results. Now click on any link you see, the browser should go to that page. Now if that is not what you want, drag your finger sideways across the magic mouse (or two fingers on the trackpad) and you will be right back at the search page showing your results.

If your magic mouse or track pad doesn't work this way, go into system preferences and adjust the settigns.

Feb 3, 2013 8:25 AM in response to cruiservtx

I have two computers with 10.8.2 where Safari does exactly this - I have not found a solution yet. The work-around I use is to right click and select Open Link in New Window.

If I discover a Safari setting that works without this trick I shall certainly post back here.

What I have tried:

trash plist

try every possible setting in Safari / Preferences / Tabs

reinstalling Safari

Not being able to arrow back to the previous pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.