Skip navigation

Can Compressor 4 remove duplicate frames?

404 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 5:25 PM by Dan Thomas (DAGWare) RSS
Dan Thomas (DAGWare) Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 3, 2013 8:21 AM

I have some videos which were converted to 30fps from a lower frame count. It was obviously a simple conversion that duplicated frames as needed.

The problem is, when I use these videos for slow motion, the duplicated frames cause the slow motion to "pause". In order to fix this, I have to remove the duplicated frames (obviously I don't care about sound, and I don't care about time sync). Once the duplicated frames are removed, the slow motion is nice and smooth.

In the past, I've always done this with very short clips, so I can do it manually. I open the video in QTP, advance one frame at a time, and when I see a duplicate, I delete it. Since there's always a pattern, depending on what the lower frame rate was, this can be done reasonably quickly, for very small clips. But it's obviously a tedious process.

I was wondering a few things:

1) Can Compressor 4 fix this issue for me? I've tried a few things in Compressor, but no help yet. I'm just a relative newbie, so that's not surprising.

2) Are there any other utilities that might help? Something that removes duplicate frames, for example?

3) These clips were already converted when I received them. However, in the future, when I convert a lower fps to 30fps for the purposes of doing slow motion, how should I do this in Compressor so as to have smooth slow motion at 30fps? Again, I don't care about audio.

I've done a few days worth of searching, but I still havent found the answers. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (13,015 points)

So do we take it that the original clips were 15 fps?

Russ

• Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (13,015 points)

Turn on Frame Controls and try Reverse Telecine (in the De-interlace box) on a test clip. Dependig on how they got to 30 (29.97?), it might get rid of the extra frame.

BTW, how much do you want to slow this down?

Compressor can do slo–mo (also in Frame Controls), but FCP (and Motion(does a pretty good job, depending on the content, and gives several options.

Russ

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.