Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Superdrive and my new 15" Retina display MacBook Pro

This probably sounds stupid, but I recently purchased a new 15" retina display Macbook Pro. A week after I brought it home, I went to put in a DVD, and discovered it didn't have a built in CD/DVD drive. (DUH - first one I ever bought that didn't have one - so much for old guy assumptions.) So, I went out and spent more money on an Apple USB Superdrive, which the Apple store employee cheerfully told me was simply plug and play into the USB port. I plugged, and it won't play. In fact, after 15 seconds, it automatically ejects the CD/DVD. The instructions that came with the Superdrive said "plug and play." That was it. What can I do to get this thing to work??

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 9:42 AM

4 replies

Feb 4, 2013 7:23 PM in response to sig

I really feel like an idiot. I took the Apple USB Superdrive and the computer back to the Apple Store and told the employee it didn't work. He said, "Sure it does. I have one hooked up at home on the exact same computer. (MacBook Pro 15" with retina display) He plugged it in, inserted a DVD, and, lo and behold, it worked perfectly. What a shock! Now, here's the kicker. The Apple USB Superdrive had been packed in the box upside down. The bottom of the Superdrive is black with a beautiful Apple logo on it. The top of the Superdrive is the plain burnished silver color with no identifying marks or logos. I had set it on my desk the way it came from the box - UPSIDE DOWN ! With the Apple logo on top, I had been loading the CD's/ DVD/s upside down. Of course it's not going to work that way! It now functions perfectly after I was shown that I had the Superdrive upside down on the desk. I tell you, it's tough to get old. A nice little Apple logo on top of the Superdrive instead of on the bottom might have helped too. Problem solved......

USB Superdrive and my new 15" Retina display MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.