Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

java will not work on my mac

Java was working fine on my macbook air but when I downloaded the latest update (13) it now will not work saying "plugin blocked"

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 9:20 AM

33 replies

Feb 3, 2013 9:30 AM in response to bruce365

Hi Bruce,

What browser are you using or what are you trying to do when you see the Plugin Blocked message?

You should be able to verify Java is installed and enabled by opening Java from System Preferences and clicking on the Security tab. There should be a checkbox to enable Java content in the browser.

I'd also recommend checking the Update tab just to make sure it has installed Update 13 properly, if not it may prompt you to download and install it again.

Feb 3, 2013 11:56 AM in response to bruce365

I too am having this problem. I contacted Apple support to be told that it is because Oracle have been having issues with hackers. I have done some research and it would appear that Java still works fine on Windows based PCs but not on Macs. Some people have been told by Apple Support that it is For Their Own Good.

I have only had my Mac 2 weeks but if I cannot do what I want to do on it and not what Apple say I can do then I will sell it and get a windows based PC.

Soooooooo disappointing.

Feb 3, 2013 8:04 PM in response to bruce365

I'm also having this issue with Java. I've updated Java. I've also uninstalled and re-installed it. I have verified Java is installed and is enabled. I'm a photographer. Java is part of the many ordering systems used by my album companies and also my online gallery provider. I have to use their ROES software which is Java based. The upload tool for the online gallery provider also is Java based. I can't place any orders or upload any photos to my galleries as none of the programs will work. I've contacted all of the companies. They are telling me that the last update Apple did on 2/1 is causing the problem with Java. Now what do I do? I have 3 iMacs, plus 2 Macbook Pros. I'm too heavily invested with my Apple products and all of my software to even consider switching to a hated Windows based PC. Help!!

(edited for spelling)

Feb 3, 2013 9:33 PM in response to Emindee Images

A lot of companies have not upgraded their Java based software to work with Java 7 yet, so that may be the problem with your desktop Java apps.

Safari is another matter. Apple has blocked use of the Java 6 plug-in and has not announced a plan to upgrade Java 6 for Lion / Mountain Lion yet. You might be able to use Firefox with Java 6 by agreeing to override the warning they give you. If you are not able to use your browser on a web site with Java 7 then follow these instructions to restore the Java 6 plug-in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559.

Feb 4, 2013 1:53 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

It's a HUGE issue in Denmark, where you need JAVA to sign on to online banking, tax - well everything from the official Denmark,

The thing is that the latest OS update wont allow Java to work with SAFARI.

It is suggested that you use FIREFOX, in which java still works... for the most parts!

Media in Denmark is reporting, that the Danish government is making a demand to APPLE - or else...

Well, let's see....

Hope this works for you!

Feb 4, 2013 6:05 AM in response to Zak Adelman

I've downloaded the latest Java update 7u13. I have no problem surfing the internet. The ordering systems that my album/print companies use is a standalone program/app that runs on Java. I am not on Safari or Firefox when using these programs (that I am aware of). I open the software for ROEs (the ordering system) and I'm immediately connected to the company to order. There is no other way to order. Same thing with my online galleries for uploading photos to my gallery company. My business is at a total standstill...I have clients wanting their orders and their online gallery.

So basically what I'm hearing is that with my ordering tools/apps/programs or whatever terminology you want to use for them, I am in a very bad situation until Java does something. This is really, really, really bad. I wish Apple would have let everyone know this was coming so they could keep up. Clients will be very upset with me and the only lame answer I can give is that it is out of my control. Yeah, try telling that to a bride or her mother.

java will not work on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.