Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to obtain the last upgrade to Snow Leopard?

I recently purchased the Snow Leopard disc from Apple to upgrade an older MacBook to Snow Leopard from Leopard. After successfully installing it, I realized it wasn't updated to latest version, 10.6.8. So, opening the software updater, I was stunned that to update everything would be a nearly 1.6GB download and here I am out in the bookdocks relying on HughesNet for "broadband" service.

The problem is that the download is so huge it will far surpass my dowload allowance. Using the wireless caard from my cell phone carrier indicates it will take 12 or more hours to download the updates IF the card doesn't drop a connection during the dowload as it is wont to do.

Any other options? Going to a public w-fi access point at the local library will also take an inordinate amount of time.

And, why in *%#@ can't Apple put the latest upgrade on the *%#@ install disc I bought?

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 2.4GHz

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 1:26 PM

11 replies

Feb 3, 2013 1:46 PM in response to Thomas Hanrahan

Have someone download the update for you on a USB thumb drive or burn a disk of it preferably as backup too.

By the way, don't upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8 because Apple is only reinstalling the entire operating system now from the Internet.

Sometimes I really wonder if they have lost their minds or something.

Welcome to the permanent Snow Leopard club. 🙂

Feb 3, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Thomas Hanrahan

Apple does not provide Mountain Lion on a flash drive. However, I cannot tell you how they may assist you if you have exigent circumstances. You might even call the nearest Apple retailer to see if they can't be of assistance or if there's a Mac club in the area they might be able to help. As might anyone with a fast pipe willing to download the standalone files for you.

It was my understanding it was "no limit," but that was told me a couple of years ago.

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support visit online support site.

For Mac App Store: Mac App Store Customer Service.

Feb 4, 2013 2:33 AM in response to Thomas Hanrahan

Thomas Hanrahan wrote:

I thought for extra $$ you could get the ML upgrade on a flash drive. you mean THAT'S been discontinued?

That was for 10.7 Lion (not 10.8 Mt. Lion) and it was discontinued.

And to upgrade (or reinstall/repair) to 10.8 Mt Lion will require your Mac to be on a fast, reliable Internet connection as it's tied to your AppleID and machine.

Apple has introduced Gatekeeper and AppStore, they are highly discouraging installing outside sources of software in favor of all copy protected AppStore downloads. OS X is morphing into the simplier closed iOS concept with 10.8 as well.

On a good note, Windows 7 is pretty decent and it can be installed on a Mac via BootCamp, by a retail disk or USB.

Once you get past the backlog of Windows updates, they then come in small sizes monthly instead of large occasional downloads like OS X does. Also you don't have to sign in with your AppleID to download the updates.

Windows 7 is very like the traditional desktop of Snow Leopard, well liked by Mac and Windows users alike and it will receive support and updates until 2020.

Once your Win 7 is updated and tweaked, make System Restore Disk images, then you can restore everything without requiring a fast Internet connection.

So in the regard for slower connections, Windows seems to be a better choice now.

Feb 4, 2013 2:48 AM in response to Thomas Hanrahan

And before Kappy (or anyone else) has a fit about me recommending Windows 7, need I remind that Apple intentionally allows Windows 7 on Mac's and supports it, and Apple has made the decision to do only Internet downloads of OS X 10.8 knowing full well the world all doesn't have fast Internet speeds.

Windows 7 is recieving security updates and support, who knows when Apple will drop support for Snow Leopard?

So since OS X isn't secure if it doesn't get updates and Windows 7 will until 2020, plus it's easy to reinstall and update on slower or bandwidth restricted connections, I think it makes a logical argument in the interest of users security.

Edit: My bad, for backing up BootCamped Windows, one uses Winclone 3 ran from OS X 10.6 onto a external drive, not System Restore Disks as a Mac is not a PC and the boot disk it makes won't work on a Mac most likely.

How to obtain the last upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.