Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Problems - No Free Memory

Thanks in advance for any help...

My Mac is struggling with the Memory. I recently upgraded to 4GB but the iMac is still incredibly slow.

For Example, if I run iPhoto to import some images it seems to consume all free memory. I am monitoring the memory with Activity Monitor.

With iPhoto running:

Free: 55MB

Wired: 436MB

Active: 1.88GB

Inactive: 1.64GB

When I run activity monitor it says the following when all aplications are shut down apart from Safari...

Free: 135MB

Wired: 505MB

Active: 1.74GB

Inactive: 1.62GB

Any ideas?

Doesn't seem right to me and it is running very slow.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMac late 2007

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 1:13 PM

More important is the stats under "Applcations > Utilities > ActivityMonitor".

This is mine:

User uploaded file

If PageOuts exceed 10% of PageIns you need more RAM. Also report "Swap Used".

8 replies

Feb 3, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Robert Borley

Seems like you have enough RAM. The problem may be that you are misiterputing the types of memory usage reported by Activity Monitor. The reason I say you have enough memory is that you have over 1 GB of inactive memory. Inactive memory is RAM that your Mac has used for applications that are no longer running. All of the inactive memory is available to your Mac at anytime it needs it.

You can find out more here:

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/os-x-memory-usage.htm

As for your Mac being slow, how much free space do youhave on your Mac's startup drive. It should be at least 15% of the drive space. And that is a minimum.

Tom

Memory Problems - No Free Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.