Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens if my iphone won't go into recovery mode?

I tried to update to the new software, but for some reason it did not complete the install and has left my phone in a state of "plug phone into itunes". I have tried getting my phone into restore mode, using the instructions on the Apple site, and it is still in "plug into itunes" mode and itunes still does not detect the phone. Without going to an Apple store on superbowl sunday, can anyone help me?

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 4:05 PM

5 replies

Feb 3, 2013 4:13 PM in response to cattail722

Try to restore it from DFU mode as follows:

1. Reboot your computer
  2. Disable your antivirus and firewall
  3. Connect the USB cable to a USB port directly on your computer, not a hub - do not connect the other end of the cable yet
  4. Launch iTunes, making sure you have the latest version (11), or at least 10.7
  5. Hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons on your iPhone for EXACTLY 10 seconds, until the screen goes black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button - If an Apple logo appears you have held too long; do it again
  6. Connect the cable to the phone while holding HOME
  7. iTunes should recognize a phone in Recovery mode. When it does release the HOME button and wait
  8. Don't touch your computer or phone until the restore completes or you get an error message; ignore any other displays or messages on the phone.

If you get an error message post it for analysis. Include the error number.

Feb 4, 2013 9:54 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

My phone is not jailbroken. I ended up having a friend try to restore the phone from his Mac (I have a PC), and all he needed to do was plug it in and it came back, without the software update. I think I'll NEVER update the software again from my PC. This is the second time this has happened to me with a software update I've done on my PC, but at least the last time it was still under warranty. I think all software updates from this point forward will be made via iCloud. I've not had a problem doing this before. Thank you for your advice.

what happens if my iphone won't go into recovery mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.